Looking for some general advice

Started by
2 comments, last by betawarz 14 years, 4 months ago
Hello, I've got a pretty decent game programming foundation to work with, I think. I've written several 3D games using XNA - all we're tower defense style games. I have also taken a course in school about game programming using C++ and DirectX - we focused on 2D games, will be 3D next semester. I was wanting to kind of get a jump start on the 3D programming. I wanted to make a simple first person shooter. I figured my first goal would be to create a Camera class, and perhaps a world coordinate (0, 0, 0) arrow thing so that I have something to look at with my Camera. I have been looking over the DirectX samples that come with the SDK and there seems to be a wealth of good information there. But all the different examples kind of lead me to some questions. What is DXUT? It looks like a framework to speed up game dev, almost a little like XNA is. Is DXUT something I should look into using? Does anyone know of any existing tutorials that are both recent and about writing a simple first person shooter? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
I haven't personally used it but...

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=432393
// Full Sail graduate with a passion for games// This post in no way indicates my being awake when writing it
If you're already familiar with XNA, why not stick with it to play around with 3d stuff? There are a bunch of resources for doing 3d on xna.com
Quote:Original post by RDragon1
If you're already familiar with XNA, why not stick with it to play around with 3d stuff? There are a bunch of resources for doing 3d on xna.com

Well, because we're not using XNA in my class. We'll be using C++/DirectX SDK.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement