Sign in to follow this  
Codeline

Most amazing game idee

Dear reader This is my first post, so please bare with me. Im no way near to program my own game, but i recently came up with one hell of a great idee of an online game, kinda like www.evony.com, not at all the same like evony, but my game must also be online multiplayer like evony. Now, to my big problem, where can i get programmers to help me with this game, i cant tell you what the game is all about, cause im afraid of someone stealing this idee, sorry, but there is just some people out there like this. Id be willing to share profits from this, like a 50-50 thing, goin into this like partners, i already have the whole game layed out, everything how this game must be played and so. I can almost garuntee that this will be the most played game in the world, and the money that we will make will be alot, and i will garuntee that 95% of the people that registers with this game wil pay to play this game. There is no such online game in the world, none. i have searched & alot of rechearced was put into this game, but there is none like this game. If anyone is interested in becoming a partner, please reply, then we can discuss the rest on this post, & later contacting each other. I dont know how evony is programmed, on Flash ore sometin, but my game must work like evony, if you get what im asking for. so register with evony, play it, (kinda very nice game, my name on evony is Zooknak) and look around. Dont get me wrong, my game is no where near evony`s, meaning, im not stealing idieas from evony. Please, if you can help me, this wil be a very big sucess game in the world. Regards Codeline

Quote:
Original post by Codeline
Now, to my big problem, where can i get programmers to help me with this game,

Pay them. Since you "can almost garuntee that this will be the most played game in the world, and the money that we will make will be alot" (sic) you would be crazy to give 50% of that money to a programmer (I'm still wondering where the art, music and sound are going to come from since you've already promised away 100% of your money, but never mind ) when you could hire one for a few thousand, and keep all the "alot"(sic) of money to yourself.

Little things like not sharing your idea (always a sign that the poster has no experience) not having any marketable skills, believing that ideas have value, and not knowing how games are made will cease to be an issue if you're paying people and with all the things you can "almost guarantee", you have almost nothing to lose.

Dear Sybixsus

I would like to thank your for your reply.

First, let me answer all your comments since it doesnt seem that you have understood me very well.

Sybixsus:
Pay them. Since you "can almost garuntee that this will be the most played game in the world, and the money that we will make will be alot" (sic) you would be crazy to give 50% of that money to a programmer.

when you could hire one for a few thousand, and keep all the "alot"(sic) of money to yourself.

Codeline:
Well, i would like to pay them, the reason for me giving away shares is, i just dont beleave "keeping all your eggs in one basket"

Where i live, i already have my own Company, and well, i have 2 partners, its much easyer to combide brains than to do it all by yourself. Thats one problem in this world, everyone thinks only about themself.

Sybixsus:
(I'm still wondering where the art, music and sound are going to come from since you've already promised away 100% of your money, but never mind )

Codeline:
mmmmm, thanks for letting me know there should be art, music and sound in the game, i may not know much, but whow! i could have never thought of that. Damm! Sybixsus! you realy know what ur talking about.

Like i said, this is a idea i have, MEANING, this game has not even one line of code or whatever a game needs, like i also said, i need someone to make this game for me. Sybixsus, dont read to fast now, looks like u missed a few of my sentances.

Sybixsus:
Little things like not sharing your idea (always a sign that the poster has no experience)

Codeline:
While im replying to your comment on my post, i just cant come over the fact that the sentance in my first post. ( third row on the top ) "Im no way near to program my own game," how could that not be more clear that i dont know anyting about developing any game what so ever. realy Sybixsus, an 8 year old just starting to read could have told you that i cant make a game, cause THATS WHAT I SAID!

Sybixsus:
Little things like not sharing your idea

Codeline:
ish! its little things like telling your idia on the internet, u know, "world whide web" that big place that any person in the world can work, play, read, and so on. Giving a great idea away like that is just wrong, i mean,

Like i SAID again, "i cant tell you what the game is all about, cause im afraid of someone stealing this idee, sorry, but there is just some people out there like this."

how about reading it again, my reason for not gonna post my idea on this forum, i had sometime ago a brilliant advertising idea, i walked to just someone i know by name, which had a few bucks, telling him this, and gess what, a month after that he did it, not including me in any way. So!!

Like i also SAID! "If anyone is interested in becoming a partner, please reply, then we can discuss the rest on this post, & later contacting each other."

Cant u see the, "then we can discuss the rest on this post, & later contacting each other."

That means, if someone is interested, then we can talk about this game over email or sometin. i realy dont know how to make that sentance any more clearer.

Sybixsus, im realy not trying to be rude in any way, if my post has offended you, well im sorry.

Im just a guy, looking to make a great game, needing the help of people with the right skills.

I mean, thats what i asked for in my post, and you, well, why you told me all that, i dont know, your comment is just unusfull info to my brain.

I want to put heads together on this game, and i just cant do it alone, i dont want to be the only owner on this.

Why, if you dont want to help me, did you comment, if you can make a game or not? I dont want tho hear this and that wont work or whatever, if i get, lets say, 20 persons in this game, working togheter, everyone with his/her own skills, togheter we will put some great ideas together, and sort out all the problems.

so Sybixsus, i cant tell you please dont reply cause your wasting my time, but, if you dont want part of this, stay away please.

It been great talking to you. And have a blessed festive season, mabe sometime we will find sometin to help each other. good luck!!!

Step 1: Get Firefox. It has a spell checker built in, which will get you half way towards actual, legible forum posts.

Step 2: Browse the forums a little. This sort of thing comes up often, and meets the same sort of reply. sybixsus summarized the basics well, but if you had anywhere the business experience you claim, then you'd realize that a great idea is nothing at all like a great product. Hopefully you'll also see our general responses toward people who have poorly formatted forum posts, or profess to have some nebulous 'great idea' that is somehow better than the millions that game programmers already have.

how about not telling me im a newbie? Cause i am, i dont want to program a game, im just looking for a programmer.

Thats basicaly what i asked for, not to be told i cant spell, well, English is just not what im good at.

Do you people just post shit like that than to actualy help newbies? Thats what forums is all about, helping someone else, talking about the topic. Me just posting asking for a programer, just led to you all criticising me.

Quote:
Original post by sybixsus
believing that ideas have value

Well some of them do, unfortunately. Which is why we have such blights on humanity as software patents and business method patents.

Anyway, OP, why don't you check out Construct or GameMaker, or the flash equivalent whatever it is? As others have said, nobody is going to help you based on this post, but maybe if you work out a prototype you could attract someone to help.

How do you expect to attract talent when you sound like a cheap infomercial? Just being honest here...

If you want to attract a team, you have to share your ideas. Very few (if any) people will jump on the "it's going to be the highest selling game evar", and certainly not the talent that you'll need to actually pull something like this off.

Plus, saying things like "and i will garuntee that 95% of the people that registers with this game wil pay to play this game" is obviously ignorant BS, there's no possible way you can guarantee this.

It's a reflex we have ("we"-I'm only here for half a year, so I am a newbie too), because a lot of guys, who have post the same kind of topic with the same manner turned out to be a troll/idiot/moron quite fast.
I guess you are not the kind of guy, but the lack of spell checking (Why not using firefox?) seems a very familiar behavior.

You have to think about your style, and check some posts of some newbie members (it's easy to find them in the beginner forum, click on names to see their profiles and posting history), and you will see, these kinds of responses are rare, so it has to do something with your style.

To the OP. Life if like that: No one will join a newbie, even if he claims to have the best idea ever, if he doesn't tell anything about his idea.

LOL! il give firefox a try, but not goin into that now.

Im sorry all, I gess I can understand why you people are a bit rude to noobs, thats also a problem with i think every forum, getting the same question every day or so.

Im asking just to understand, that im so scared to tell this idea, cause 1 great one has been stolen from me once, and i dont want lose this one. I know i must tell this idea on the forum. I gess i must tell you a little bit of sometin.

This game will revole around making money, regestered users wil also make there own money aswell as the creators, and i am talking about real money, ive been working on this a long time, writing everyting down, how the game should work and so, and making money on this game wil be the most easyiest way to make money online, I know it wil mabe start off slow, but it will speed up fast as the word will be spread by the registered users users.

This is not one of those monemaking schemes, this is actualy a game. And it will be so f..cking easy making money.

This sounds to me like some games that are already in existence. I can't think of the names of the games, but I've come across a few where you create your own unique items and other stuff in game and own a little shop where you can sell off your creations to other players for real money. I'll post a link to what I'm talking about if I can find them again.

Feel free to google it, i did aswell, i googled alot, and i know there is games where u can play to make money, but thats all crap.

Please, at least trust me when i say, that i did do my do my homework on this. There`s a first time for everyting.

Nobody is going to trust you (nor should they), because you have no credibility. I hope you realize this

Lots of people come on here with "the best game idea ever" and can't talk about it because "someone will steal it !!!". If it's SO easy to make boatloads of cash off of this idea just by knowing what it is, then you wouldn't be having such difficulty turning it into reality. I've never seen a single one of these turn into anything at all, and there's zero traction on being able to recruit anyone at all without being open in your ideas.

Ideas are pretty worthless - everyone has tons of ideas. It's really the competence of the team and the quality of the implementation that is potentially worth anything at all.

I found one of them. There's a game called Entropia where users buy in game currency with real money which is then exchanged for goods and services online: "Entropia Universe is a massively multiplayer online virtual universe designed by Swedish software company MindArk, based in Gothenburg. In contrast to other similar MMORPGs, MindArk's software is distributed free of charge with no subscription fees. The developers instead have decided to use a variant of the micropayment economic model, which consists of buying in-game currency (PED - Project Entropia Dollars) with real money that can be redeemed back into real world funds at a fixed exchange rate with the US dollar, where 10 PED = $1 USD. This means that virtual items acquired within Entropia Universe have a real cash value, and a participant may, at any time, initiate a withdrawal of their accumulated PEDs back into real world currencies according to the fixed exchange rate, minus transaction fees, the minimum amount for a withdrawal is 1000 PED. As a result, revenue of the business is largely generated from activities within the virtual universe. The revenue model has historically proven to be sustainable and is currently profitable" (Wikipedia).

Hey Codeline,
I am sincerly sorry on what kind of reaction you are getting from these people. It is nothing personal, and I will do my best to summarise why they are acting like this:

-There are already (and have always been) lots of threads about a random person, who has not yet earned credability, having 'the worlds best game idea' that is going to make 'millions of $$$'. Although your idea may really be the best there is, no one on this forum will simply be joining because of that. This comes from past experience - there have been projects just like yours, the people got together, began working on it, and after 2 weeks, the thread starter and 'leader' dropped the project. In turn, everyone learnt a lesson: Only join projects that someone created that
a) seem doable
b) Has a good leader that will always support the team, no matter what
c) Is profitable to the programmer

-MMORPGS. Trust me, every single user on this forum is sick and tired of them: They are extremly difficult to make, you need a large team, and in the end, they are just worthless. I think there is a single MMORPG that started out of this forum that made it past the 'alpha' stage (Ie a very very early Build) and that is the MMO 'Infinity'. All the other hundred MMO's have allready been dropped.

-Idea Men. This may not mean anything to you yet, but trust me, an 'Idea Man' alone is basically worthless in this place. Every single programmer/graphics artist/moddeler/texture artist/game musician has ideas of their own. Why would they choose your idea over theirs? They have allready worked in the field of GameDevelopment, and know how everything works. Thus they (usually) make better project managers since they will most liekly have realistic goals.

-Your english. I am sincerly sorry if this offends you, as in no way I want to cause any. However, the spelling errors in your post make you look unproffesional, which in turn turns of most programmers. The reason is that it looks like your are doing a 'half-assed job' - ie, it makes you look like you would drop the project in the first few weeks simply because you don't care much about it. I am not saying that you would, but it is simply the impression the post gives off. Being from a non-english speaking country is no excuse for that, I am sorry to say. I for one come from a german speaking country, so I know how hard it can be to learn english. Good luck with learning/spellchecking! :-)

-Lastly, I personally belive that you are underestimating the amount of work that is needed to make a game, especially an MMO. Just as an example, on a AAA title such as Halo 3/World of Warcraft, there are over 200 people working on it for Over 4 years. Not to mention that they are very well payed. On the other hand, you are asking people on this forum to make an equivelant of WoW (not gameplay wise, but work wise) for no pay.

I hope this gives you a general idea of why no one is going to take you seriously/no one is going to join your project (yet). Once again, I am deeply sorry if this offends you, but I am just doing my best to be honest here. Especially, since you can then improve on those parts.

So lastly, here are some things that you should do if you want people to take you serisouly:
-Fix the spelling mistakes in your above post.
-Give a detailed idea of your project. I do understand your concern about having your idea stolen, but it is best to give a rough outling of what your game is about. Otherwise, I gurantee you will not get a single person to join your game. As an example, I wrote this:

~~~~~~
Hey fellow game developers,
my game idea is similar to the game Defcon (click), featuring a 2d top down view of the world similar to the 'Big Boards' seen in films like Dr. Strangelove and WarGames. The music featured will most likely be an ambient millitary style loop, around 10 minutes in length. However, this may be changed be request of the music creator.
-The techenologys used for the game will be Flash. IF enough reqests by potential programmers are made, we may change it to MS Silverlight.
Thank you very much for your time. :-)
~~~~~~

-Get a basic idea in Game development. I'd recommend you do some simple programming, i.e. C/C++, Python with Pygames, C# with XNA. Make a 'guess the number game'. I can hear you laughing from here. "Guess the number game, why would anyone care about that???". In truth, half the aspiring game developers can't get up to that point. And then you can say you have some experience in programming, thus have more credability, and thus have a much higher chance of actually getting people to join your team. :-)

I could go on, but I better stop now. Hope this will help you out, and anyone else who wants to start their own team.

Lastly: Read and follow the Mandatory Posting template!! ;-)

Is this game going to include a random number generator?
Will people from Canada be allowed to play?

Guess which criminal offense you will be committing.

But, you've done the homework, right. You're fully clear on gambling and financial regulations, as they apply to all countries from which your service will be accessible. And you have legal papers written, and you are insured. Right?

Quote:
Please, at least trust me when i say, that i did do my do my homework on this. There`s a first time for everyting.

Hey, it worked for Madoff.

But you seam to misunderstand the purpose of this forum. This is a forum for people who wants to learn how to develop games. Not a forum for people who just want to hire a programmer, to create their game.
If you want to learn how to develop games, but don't care about about programming (graphics or music), you should probably look more in to game design.

There is however no way that you'll get any help on how to design games, if you don't want to show your design to other people! If you don't want to tell about your idea (which is okay for all I care), you really should come up with an idea that you want to tell about, get a team together and create the game. If you can do this people will take you serious.

If you read your own first post, you would notice that you're basically saying "Hi I'm new! If you'll trust me, and dedicate (perhaps) two years of hard work to me, I'll guarantee that you'll get rich!".
Would you trust yourself??

[edit:removed link to translated insult. Still exists in (deleted) quoted posts for the record]

[Edited by - phantom on December 24, 2009 9:09:54 AM]

Quote:
Original post by Codeline
This is not one of those monemaking schemes, this is actualy a game. And it will be so f..cking easy making money.

If this idea is easy to make money off, why won't you do it yourself?

Why ask others (a programmer) to do it for you and lose 50% of your profits to them (figure fetched from one of your earlier posts)?

This confuses me! Define "easy"?

Quote:
Original post by pseudobot
-Your english. I am sincerly sorry if this offends you, as in no way I want to cause any. However, the spelling errors in your post make you look unproffesional, which in turn turns of most programmers.

Quoted for irony.

Sorry! ;)

If you really want to make a game but you yourself have no actually game-making expertise (though it sounds like you may be a business-person) there's really only one way.

You'll have a to hire a development studio to make it for you.

This isn't anything new, a lot of games are made this way. Call up studio, have them sign and NDA and discuss the project at length to figure out what it'll take to get it done.

This place is more for indie/homebrew/hobbyist games than large-scale productions like you are probably thinking of.

Quote:
Original post by szecs
This guy is a complete idiot. Or 8 year old.
but fun to read :P

+9999
may I laugh now, hahaha... :D

Quote:
Original post by NinjaMonkeyPirate
... (though it sounds like you may be a business-person)

Lol.