• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MarkS

OpenGL VBOs in 3.2?

This topic is 3106 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was going through the OpenGL 3.2 Specs and noticed that glVertexPointer, glTexCoordPointer, glNormalPointer, etc., have been removed in 3.2. The OpenGL wiki doesn't mention what is used to replace their functionality in 3.2. All of the examples in the wiki show these functions being used with no mention of the fact that they are removed. How are VBOs specified and used in 3.2?

Advertisement
Ah. Thanks.

Hmm... That should work. I'm about to implement normal mapping and will be messing with shaders for the first time. No time like the present.

Quote:
I was going through the OpenGL 3.2 Specs and noticed that glVertexPointer, glTexCoordPointer, glNormalPointer, etc., have been removed in 3.2. The OpenGL wiki doesn't mention what is used to replace their functionality in 3.2. All of the examples in the wiki show these functions being used with no mention of the fact that they are removed.

That's because a lot of people still rely on GL 2
but even with GL 2, you can GL 3 stuff.

Here is a link
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/GlVertexAttribPointer

[Edited by - V-man on December 23, 2009 6:52:25 PM]

I'm writing a sprite/tile engine that will require no less than GL 2.0. However, I want to make sure it is fully compatible with GL 3.2.

I found that link after Sunray clued me into that function. I was going to delay shader development (since I have no experience with shaders) until I got the underlying code working to my satisfactions, but that is clearly not going to be an option now. Fortunately, I don't have much to rewrite, just a lot to learn.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll have many more questions shortly.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!