Sign in to follow this  
MarkS

Question about normal mapping.

In wanting to add normal mapping to my tile engine, I ran across a little conundrum. In most cases I've seen (in the 3D sense), the normal map is the same size as the texture. However, in my case that can pose some problems. Lets say that the tiles are 32 x 32 pixels. That may be enough visual information, but it doesn't seem like enough for normals. I can see some possible aliasing issues. I've looked for information on normal mapping in tile engines, but haven't come up with much. I've seen pics of it being done and the results are spectacular, but I guess it isn't very common. As such, it is hard to determine what is "standard". Should the normal map the same size as the tile? Would I get any benefits from making it larger?

You won't get any benefit from making the texture larger than it will be when drawn on-screen. If you do make it larger, the gpu will end up selecting a lower mip to avoid swimming artifacts (and to increase performance)

If you have a 1:1 correspondence between on-screen rendered pixels and the texture, you're in perfect shape, there's no way to get any additional information in there, and there's no need to