Sign in to follow this  
Unknownforest

Dreamcasts programming difficulty.

Instead of asking if it's easy, why don't you look at how to do it and decide for yourself if it is easy. There are things that could be easy for one person but hard for another. These questions are pointless, get out there and do it yourself before getting reassurance that you can.

Nobody here knows your programming capabilities, nobody knows what "simple program" you want to create, none of this is known, and knowing it won't help with the answer. Work on your program that you want.

First of all, what I mean by simple program, I mean moving a few sprites around as oppose to programming complicated patterns of AI or rendering in polygons.

Second,I meant how hard is it in general. Comparing to flash or the XNA.

Quote:
Original post by Tom Sloper
Why do you ask?

I thought there would be a few people here with enough knowledge with any third party SDKs? That's why I asked.

Quote:
Original post by Unknownforest
Quote:
Why do you ask?

I thought there would be a few people here with enough knowledge with any third party SDKs?

So, if the answer was "it's hard," what would you do differently than if the answer was "it's easy"? That's why I asked why you asked.

Quote:
I meant how hard is it in general. Comparing to flash or the XNA.

Hard is relative. You might think making Tetris in C++ is hard. I might think making a MMO in x86 assemby is hard. People can only tell you relative to their own experiences. Given that the Dreamcast you have to directly write to the video buffer it will be "harder" then XNA. You also have to deal with limited CPU and GPU resources. Really you need to try it yourself and find out if its "hard" for you or not.

Quote:
So, if the answer was "it's hard," what would you do differently than if the answer was "it's easy"?

If you said that it's hard to do something that isn't really complicated, I would say why? If you said it was easy then I would give it a try if I was offered examples.

The good thing is that there's a lot of documentation on how to program for the DC. Last time I checked, most of it was in assembly, but there are libraries/headers/etc that can be used (with gcc I think) to get you going in C.

So learning the hardware specifics & system/function calls aside, it'd be like programming for anything else, I guess.

Quote:
Quote:
So, if the answer was "it's hard," what would you do differently than if the answer was "it's easy"?

If you said that it's hard to do something that isn't really complicated, I would say why? If you said it was easy then I would give it a try if I was offered examples.

This is your starting point to get the homebrew SDK setup. It should come with examples.