[SOLVED] Assigning Iterator to Iterator

Started by
18 comments, last by Sanctux 14 years, 4 months ago
Oh, your problem is likely that you called cont.begin() when the container was empty. That will return you a nice invalid iterator
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by RDragon1
Oh, your problem is likely that you called cont.begin() when the container was empty. That will return you a nice invalid iterator

I'm sorry, I do not quite understand. When debugging, menuItems was populated with 2 items, and activeItem simply had (error) as a symbol and 0 as its value, and maintained that state ever since its construction in its parent class.
Jack
Did it have 2 items when you executed this:

activeItem = menuItems.begin();

?

I suspect it was .empty() at this point

If not, we'll need a full small test case that shows the problem to continue from here
Did it have 2 items when you executed this:

?

I suspect it was .empty() at this point

If not, we'll need a full small test case that shows the problem to continue from here

Why, yes.

Note the (error) symbol I mentioned.

I then experimented and look at the results:

(again the error)
Jack
I meant this line:

Not this line:

if( activeItem == menuItems.begin() )

- you showed the latter in the debugger
Oh, sorry.

That line is actually here:
void Menu::AddItem(MenuPair item){	menuItems.push_back(item);	if (menuItems.size() == 1)		activeItem = menuItems.begin();}
Jack
Are you absolutely sure that's always getting hit before that comparison statement gets executed?
Are you absolutely sure that's always getting hit before that comparison statement gets executed?

Yes.
menu.AddItem(MenuPair(PLAY, MenuItem("Play")));menu.AddItem(MenuPair(QUIT, MenuItem("Quit")));

is called in the constructor of MainMenuState, and I've stepped through the whole thing many times.

Could it be a bug on my part? I do not quite fully understand the nature of iterators.

Would posting the project help?
Jack
void Menu::AddItem(MenuPair item){	menuItems.push_back(item);	// if (menuItems.size() == 1)		activeItem = menuItems.begin();}

Try that. Iterators are invalidated when the internals of the container are moved around in memory. Adding an item to a vector for instance will re-allocate memory if the array is too small accommodate the new item, thus invalidating all previously "purchased" iterators, see below for a code sample demonstrating the problem. Possible fixes include reserve-ing some amount of menu items before hand (may cause problems later), revalidating iterators as the code above shows, using a separate container (such as std::list, which I believe does not suffer this problem), or you can simply refer to the activeItem as an index in the array.

int main() {	int* arr = new int[2]; // equivalent to vector::reserve(2)	int arrSize = 0;		arr[0] = 123; // equivalent to vector::push_back( 123 )	arr[1] = 456; // equivalent to vector::push_back( 456 )		int* selection = &arr[1];		// push_back( 789 ):	int* temp = new int[3];	for ( int i = 0; i < 2; ++i )		temp = arr;	delete[] arr;	arr = temp;	temp = 0;		arr[2] = 789;		*selection = 1; // Boom!	delete[] arr;}
Quote:Original post by _fastcall
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Try that. Iterators are invalidated when the internals of the container are moved around in memory. Adding an item to a vector for instance will re-allocate memory if the array is too small accommodate the new item, thus invalidated all previously "purchased" iterators. Possible fixes include reserve-ing some amount of menu items before hand (may cause problems later), revalidating iterators as the code above shows, using a separate container (such as std::list, which I believe does not suffer this problem), or you can simply refer to the activeItem as an index in the array.

Oh, I see. Revalidating the iterator seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks tons, _fastcall and RDragon1.

++rating; [wink]
Jack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement