Getting Bitten?

Started by
19 comments, last by theOcelot 14 years, 3 months ago
How would you feel if your playing a RPG and venturing into a woods that is rumored to have werewolves or vampires. After a time you find yourself in a battle with them. You lose and are close to death, but overhear them saying that you look strong and they can use you. They bite you....and you then pass out. You awake later to find yourself completely changed, and in a town buried deep in the forest. For the first few days you test out your new found skills, powers, and weaknesses. Find yourself a teacher that helps newly bitten mates like yourself to teach you how to manage yourself, then go off on your way to explore new lands. ---- With proper warning, would you mind being bitten and having your character changed forever? Would you like to have some sort of hard to get potion that can change you back? Maybe a potion or ritual you have to take/do regularly to stay "controlled" so that society wont try and murder you, so that they may even allow you to live in their towns. What do you mates think of all this?

My current game: MMORPGRTSFPSRLG. Read: Some sort of mmorpg with a special something that will make everyone want to play but I wont tell you what it is.

Team Openings: None

For serious though, my goal is to create a MMO. What kind? Not sure yet. MMO games are my passion and it's a goal of mine to change the industry for the better. Do I know it's an unrealistic goal? Yes. Do I care? Heck no.

If you ever need someone to bounce ideas off of, feel free to contact me.

--------------------------Hail New^Internet

Advertisement
Yeah sounds cool, theres a web rpg called uhh "battleon" i think?

anyhow its pretty non linear, but in one area theres warewolves fighting vampires and you can choose a side to fight for, and can actually become one of them.

it's real cool.

i am a "werepyre" a hybrid between the 2.

it's deff a nice element to be able to do that and becomes something else IMO (:

would it be optional in your game?
Gaia Online has done several holidays/events where part of the event is getting your avatar's appearance changed for the duration of the event, and afterward they provide a free or cheap way to get rid of the appearance, but if you do nothing it stays. Dofus also did a fun Halloween event where players repeatedly got turned into monsters and then had to do a mini-quest to get back to normal.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

As long as there was a way to reverse the change, however difficult that process might be, I don't think I would have a problem with it. In fact, if there were advantages to being infected, I might even welcome it.
as long as there is an easy way to reverse it, i would not mind.
Sounds like Legacy Of Kain: Blood Omen, but not exactly, in LoK:BO, Kain is killed and resurrected as a vampire at the very beginning, he then sets to get revenge against those that killed him, and from there the plot thickens for 4 more games.
Sounds like "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind" with the "Bloodmoon"-Addon. You can become a vampire and a werewolf in there.

I always thought that's a cool way to change/extend the gameplay - especially because it's more or less voluntary. (There are cures for vampirism/lykanthropy, but they are hard to get.)
Visit my personal page, and follow the Rat King on Facebook & Twitter!
Sounds kinda like the whole point of the game would be to get bitten and living with the new powers. Sounds like fun but what do you do until you get bitten?
@ kseh: Well actually, it would just be a side part of the game. If its a mmo, think of it as a new class. If its a sandbox RPG, it could be thought of as just another side quest, or something new to explore.

@Kwizatz and sunandshadow: Thats nice that this sounds like another game, but how do you like the idea as either designers or players?

My current game: MMORPGRTSFPSRLG. Read: Some sort of mmorpg with a special something that will make everyone want to play but I wont tell you what it is.

Team Openings: None

For serious though, my goal is to create a MMO. What kind? Not sure yet. MMO games are my passion and it's a goal of mine to change the industry for the better. Do I know it's an unrealistic goal? Yes. Do I care? Heck no.

If you ever need someone to bounce ideas off of, feel free to contact me.

--------------------------Hail New^Internet

I'm not a big fan of "resetting" my character in an RPG. Suddenly becoming a level 1 vampire or werewolf would be annoying if the levelling process isn't really quick and intuitive. Having it be a failure condition on a quest (get beaten by vampires, become a vampire) would be annoying also, since many players would just reload an old save to avoid it and try again until they win.

Secret unlockable player classes are cool, though. Just don't get too hung up on your writing and personal affection for the subject matter, since a designer who has a real hard-on for vampires might put together a shoddy, unpleasant vampire feature and be unable to properly review it because he thinks that the "zomg its vampires!" factor will carry the feature.

So get to the bottom of it, and see if it'll be good in the abstract. If it'll work with a town full of lycanthropic werewolves, would it work with a town of vampires? How about a town of cyborgs that break you down and rebuild you as one of them? What if its a town of symbiotic ghosts, and you get possessed by a long0dead warrior? Radioactive spider-bite?

Make sure it works.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement