What to do for my first 2d game?

Started by
4 comments, last by agm_ultimatex 14 years, 3 months ago
Well I have a working RPG, which is pretty short and simple. Now I'd like to move on to doing either a tetris or pong clone. Im thinking either using SDL or cracking up the DX10 book I have, and learning to use direct3d for it. OpenGL is another option as well for me, as I have used it a bit in school. Trying something different though would be nice. What are your suggestions for a game and technology?
Advertisement
Pong is a good idea for a first 2D game. I wouldn't use DX10, as there's just a whole lot of unnecessary coding involved. Wait until you do a 3D project for DX10. SDL is a good idea, as it includes functions for loading images and such, without too much code that complicates the project.
It depends on what language you are using too. Ill assume your using either C or C++ in which case I would recommend SDL for C and SFML for C++. Either API would work though and make it easy to get a game up and running quickly. I also second the advice to not using DX10 for something so simple.
Python with pyglet or pygame is also a good alternative to the old C/C++ and SDL route. Using Python boosts productivity quite a bit.
Then I'd have to learn a new language. I'm not in a rush for developing games really. Besides if I ever decide to go into game development for a career, I then have a portfolio of C++ games. I'd rather stick to a language I am already familiar with, and learn the structure and math behind a game, rather than a language. I a little go I started on a tetris clone in Java, using the Canvas and Graphics2d, as I needed a break from C++. I started adding components to it and that, since i was already familiar with Java, it wasn't a problem really.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement