• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
zyrolasting

[C++/Win] AdjustRect alternative

This topic is 3218 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want a 800x600 client, but end up with 797x578.
RECT r = {0,0,800,600};
AdjustWindowRect(&r,(WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW & ~(WS_THICKFRAME|WS_MAXIMIZEBOX)),false);

The documentation says I can not specify WS_OVERLAPPED, (set in WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW) which I can only guess is the source of my issue. What is an alternative method to calculating a window rect for my client before constructing a window? All I found on Google answered my question for when after the window is created and shown, which won't suffice. [Edited by - zyrolasting on December 24, 2009 6:14:19 PM]

Advertisement
The adjusted window rect does not have left and top as zero. Use rect.right - rect.left to get the width. It gives you the dimensions of the entire window, if the client area is {0,0,800,600}, which starts at (-3, -22).

Thanks! I assumed the context was similar to CreateWindow(), where only the top-left corner was in absolute coordinates.

Another issue, though. I get the correct client, but I want
my window to be 32 pixels off the top and left sides of the screen.
This does not accommodate for that.

// Generate window rect to accommodate
// desired client area.
RECT client = {32,32,32+m_ulWindowWidth,32+m_ulWindowHeight};
AdjustWindowRect(&client,ISDDXWINDOWSTYLE,false);

// Create the window to display the app on.
m_hWindow = CreateWindow(
m_szAppName,
m_szAppName,
ISDDXWINDOWSTYLE,
client.left,
client.top,
client.right - client.left,
client.bottom - client.top,
NULL,
NULL,
m_hInstance,
(LPVOID)this );

I guess that would put your client rect at 32,32. To put the window at 32,32, simply specify .., 32, 32, rect.right-rect.left, rect.bottom-rect.top, .. to CreateWindow. You can use 0,0,800,600 for the client rect.

Worked like a charm. Thanks so much for the speedy, informative replies!
Here is the final working snippet posted for reference.

// Generate window rect to accommodate
// desired client area.
RECT client = {0,0,m_ulWindowWidth,m_ulWindowHeight};
AdjustWindowRect(&client,ISDDXWINDOWSTYLE,false);

// Create the window to display the app on.
m_hWindow = CreateWindow(
m_szAppName,
m_szAppName,
ISDDXWINDOWSTYLE,
client.right - client.left,
client.bottom - client.top,
NULL,
NULL,
m_hInstance,
(LPVOID)this );

another trick that might work for the fun of it (since you have overlapped window), is to use the WM_GETMINMAXINFO message: if the client dimensions are not the size that you want, u can expand the size of window dimensions by the short amount. this would guarantee ur client dimensions will always be 800x600 even if u try sizing the borders; of course that can be prevented using WM_NCHITTEST as well. might not work though since GetClientDimensions might not return the right values in WM_GETMINMAXINFO... just for fun.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!