scoring an unsorted array vs a sorted one

Started by
9 comments, last by vaneger 14 years, 3 months ago
I'm doing something wrong but I can figure out what. What is supposed to happen is I call a swap function that swaps 8 indicies in an array ( 2 blocks of 4). Then I'll update the score of the test array compared to the goal array ( goal is a sorted copy of test) with the intention of only increasing the score if the newly swapped items are in order.

float rangeScore(vector<char> &goal,vector<char> &test,float score, int x,int y)
{
	int i = 0;
	float local_score = score;
	for(i=x;i<y;i++)
		if(test == goal)
			local_score++;
	return local_score;
	//return( score / 10.24f) ;

}
example call:
new_score = rangeScore(goal,test,current_score,i,i+4);
new_score = rangeScore(goal,test,new_score,j,j+4);

What happens is new_score keeps increasing every time , which doesn't make sense considering if you swap something like this: AADD CBCB test CBCB AADD test swapped AABB CCDD goal and score it vs the sorted goal it should score 3 but I get 4.
Advertisement

I suggest you step through it with a debugger to figure out why it's not behaving exactly as you'd expect
yay - alot of good that does me when I don't understand assembly - maybe you do so here is what I got at the if (test == goal]) line

0040231E   mov         ecx,dword ptr [ebp-4]00402321   push        ecx00402322   mov         ecx,dword ptr [ebp+0Ch]00402325   call        @ILT+365(std::vector<char,std::allocator<char> >::operator[]) (00401172)0040232A   movsx       esi,byte ptr [eax]0040232D   mov         edx,dword ptr [ebp-4]00402330   push        edx00402331   mov         ecx,dword ptr [ebp+8]00402334   call        @ILT+365(std::vector<char,std::allocator<char> >::operator[]) (00401172)00402339   movsx       eax,byte ptr [eax]0040233C   cmp         esi,eax0040233E   jne         rangeScore+6Ch (0040234c)
Quote:Original post by vaneger
yay - alot of good that does me when I don't understand assembly - maybe you do so here is what I got at the if (test == goal]) line

*** Source Snippet Removed ***
Your debugger shouldn't output assembly if you invoke it correctly. What platform/environment are you using?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Yeah, you don't need to step through assembler. Assumedly you're already running a debug build, which debugger are you using? If you're on windows you should be using visual studio's debugger, which is unmatched in usefulness
I'm using msvc 6.0 .
I'm using msvc 6.0 .
Throw that out directly, and download a copy of Visual C++ Express, which happens to be free. Apart from being ancient, MSVC 6 had one of the worst C++ compilers in existence, and you will save yourself a world of trouble by moving on.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Ok so I got the express version - still don't know what settings out of the million of them to use for debugging.
Yeah as I just mentioned in my PM, the thing you're doing wrong is that you need to subtract one for each match, then modify the array, and then add one for each match.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Ok so I got the express version - still don't know what settings out of the million of them to use for debugging.
Click in the margin to set a breakpoint next to the statement you want to debug, and the hit the green arrow, or choose 'run with debugger' from the menu.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement