So i have a game made...How should i distribute it?

Started by
11 comments, last by jrjellybean 14 years, 3 months ago
Does it matter about the computer language? Do i need any other legal/ other issues i need to sort out with the game before selling it? Any other information is happily appreciated:)
Advertisement
Moving to Business/Law.
Anyone who has already made a complete game isn't "breaking in" anymore... :)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by harminal
1. Does it matter about the computer language?
2. Do i need any other legal/ other issues i need to sort out with the game before selling it?
3. Any other information is happily appreciated:)

1. How could it? Why are you asking?
2. Yes. Hire an intellectual property attorney, make sure the title is not encumbered. And consult with the NZ equivalent of the Small Business Administration to make sure your business is set up for tax purposes.
3. Sure. Just ask it.

Hmm good information but
1: I was thinking a professional game publisher might want a c++ game instead of a c# game or is it all irrelevant?
2: Thanks:)
3:I just want any hints people might have when going for publishing
1: I was thinking a professional game publisher might want a c++ game instead of a c# game or is it all irrelevant?
2: Thanks:)
3:I just want any hints people might have when going for publishing

1. How could it matter what language it's written in?
3. Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/article60.htm and http://www.sloperama.com/advice/entry65.htm

Are you saying that you have a game designed. As in you have documents that detail how the game will function in the future when it is written?

Or were you saying that you have a completed product ready to install or run on someone's computer?

I ask those questions because of your question #1. If you have a completed game, the publisher would LIKELY not discriminate based on the language. As long as they can distribute and install what is needed on an end-user's computer to make your game run, you should be in good shape.
Ahhhhh yes thank you! Hmm the product is written in c# and i its a ready to go installer. What do i have to do? Ring up and make an appointment with all game publishers in my area right?
A few posts above, Tom Sloper links to a couple of articles on his site. Article 60 is specifically about publishing. You should definitely check it out.

And yes, now you have the task of deciding on a form of distribution. Then finding publishers who could be interested in publishing a game in that way. Then let the contacting and connecting begin.

Congratulations on seeing a game through to completion and best of luck getting it published!
What do i have to do? Ring up and make an appointment with all game publishers in my area right?

The publishers don't have to be in your area - game publishing is an international industry. First you need to check out publisher's web sites to see if they publish games like yours. Then call them to find out who handles acquisitions/business development. Talk to that person then send them your game or arrange a meeting if they are within traveling distance.

Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Have you not thought about self publishing?

Just start a website, link the game up to a payment service like BMT, and then start marketing!

The following might help:

http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=17891

It's got a document that you might want to read!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement