CPoint.qCoord( 2.1, -4.8 );
in the code.

Advertisement
CPoint.qCoord( 2.1, -4.8 );

Is illegal.

Are you trying to initialize it ?

If so then this will work :
Cpoint qCoord;qCoord = CPoint( 2.1 , -4.8 );
Edge cases will show your design flaws in your code!
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github
Quote:Original post by samurai_gator
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Try this. Here you use the custom constructor when you initialize your new object of type CPoint with the name qCoord.

#include <iostream>class CPoint{  public:   // Constructor to intialize mdX and mdY to zero   // works with qDefault   CPoint::CPoint()   {     mdX = 0.0;     mdY = 0.0;   }   // overloading mdX & mdY w/ dX & dY   // works with   CPoint::CPoint( double dX, double dY)   {     mdX = dX;     mdY = dY;   }   void print()   {     using namespace std;     cout << "(" << mdX << ", " << mdY << ")" << endl;   }   double mdX;   double mdY;};int main(){  CPoint qDefault; // creating a qDefault object of type CPoint  CPoint qCoord( 2.1, -4.8 ); //<---Here is where you call the custom constructor  qDefault.print();  //CPoint.qCoord( 2.1, -4.8 );  qCoord.print();  return 0;}
Gor435 - My Journal - MySpace - Facebook
I wasn't trying to initialize it, even though

qCoord = CPoint( 2.1 , -4.8 );

gets the job done.

The idea is that
qDefault.print();

calls the default constructor and prints out (0,0)

and
qCoord.print();

calls the other constructor and should print out ( 2.1, -4.8 ).

The qCoord constructor should work with the 2nd CPoint constructor ( the one that overloads) and I'm thinking there would be no need to have:

because it wasn't necessary in the default constructor.

You seem to have some ideas (or at least terminology) about constructors mixed up.

Quote:Original post by samurai_gator
The idea is that
qDefault.print();

calls the default constructor and prints out (0,0)

That line (qDefault.print();) doesn't call the (default) constructor. CPoint qDefault; is doing that.

Quote:qCoord.print();

calls the other constructor and should print out ( 2.1, -4.8 ).

Same here - this isn't calling a constructor, instead it's calling the print method on the already-constructed qCoord object.

Quote:The qCoord constructor...

Not sure if this is just strange wording, but the constructor doesn't belong to the qCoord object instance, but the CPoint class instead. Maybe you could say "the constructor used by qCoord", or perhaps just "default constructor".

Quote:...should work with the 2nd CPoint constructor

Not sure what you mean by 'work with' - the two constructors can (and are) defined and implemented separately, without depending on each other.

Perhaps you mean something like this? In this case, you might be better served by just having one constructor with default arguments (it is still a default constructor: it can be called with zero arguments), like this:

// Constructor to intialize mdX and mdY (default: to zero)   CPoint( double dX = 0.0, double dY = 0.0 )   {     mdX = dX;     mdY = dY;   }

Quote:( the one that overloads)

Your comment for this second constructor, "overloading mdX & mdY w/ dX & dY", is a little confusing: you're not overloading mdX and mdY, but assigning them (to dX and dY). The constructor itself is overloaded, however.

Quote: and I'm thinking there would be no need to have:

because it wasn't necessary in the default constructor.

CPoint a; calls CPoint::CPoint(), the default constructor (can be called with no arguments).

CPoint b( 2.1, -4.8 ); calls CPoint::CPoint(double, double), the constructor that assigns specific values to the point coordinates.

CPoint.qCoord( 2.1, -4.8 ); doesn't make sense :)
The line roughly translates to "call method qCoord with arguments 2.1, -4.8 on the CPoint object instance", which isn't what you're after.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement