[SOLVED] What language should I use for ONLINE games?

Started by
9 comments, last by mattd 14 years, 3 months ago
Hi there! I'm new to game programming. I've done some HTML and CSS before though. I want to be able to upload my games to the web (Shared game sites like Kongregate, and private ones as well). They don't have to be multiplayer (yet). What program can I use to make it easy for players to play it online? -"DLA" [Edited by - DarkLightA on December 28, 2009 3:26:28 AM]
Advertisement
Most online games, and all games on Kongregate, miniclip, etc are created in Flash. Linky (click)
:-)
What about C++
Quote:Original post by DarkLightA
What about C++

It goes completely against:
Quote:make it easy for players to play it online?

Your basic choices are ActionScript/Flash, Java, &#106avascript and Silverlight.
Also, there's Unity, which I like quite a lot. There's also InstantAction, from the Torque guys, but I don't know much about it other than that it exists.
Most common would be Flash and Java. There are also some web pages that are games that use PHP/ASP.Net. Games on Kongregate look like Flash. A example of what Java can do would be Evony which seems really popular.
Evony is flash.

Java at its best is runescape. For a lot of simple, straight forward games, flash is pretty good. You can do some decent stuff with Java Applets, but there's a memory limit of 94mb or something (or w/e is set on the person's JVM).
So, with Adobe Flash, what tutorial should I use?
Quote:Original post by agm_ultimatex
Evony is flash.

Java at its best is runescape. For a lot of simple, straight forward games, flash is pretty good. You can do some decent stuff with Java Applets, but there's a memory limit of 94mb or something (or w/e is set on the person's JVM).

My apologies but I just found out from a google search that Evony uses both java and flash. You play the game through flash but the back-end server code is java.
Quote:Original post by DarkLightA
So, with Adobe Flash, what tutorial should I use?

BUMP

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement