Sign in to follow this  
_Sauce_

Program for iPhone without a mac?

I have an idea for a simple app that I'd like to make, but I do not have a mac with OSX leapord (sp?). My sister does have a mac, however the screen is cracked and all she can see is the upper left corner, which is only a few inches in size. Is there any way I can write an app for the iPhone on my win7 computer? I imagine I would at least have to compile it on the mac, however that should be okay as I can always get someone else to do that for me. edit: I would prefer to do this in C++ if possible, but I could get by with just plain C.

I believe iPhone development is done primarily in objective C, though there are certainly other options (Unity allows you to use some .NET languages, such as C#, JScript.NET and Boo). In any case, wouldn't the easiest option be to connect your monitor to your sister's Mac when using it?

As far as I'm aware, all current legit iPhone development involves XCode, which will only run on Mac OS.

The problem with that is that it's her mac and she does actually use it every day, despite the handicap :P

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to get enough time on it to do any productive work.

You could try remotely login in to use X-Code, which should let her simultaniously use the mac as she wishes
http://superuser.com/questions/30173/is-there-a-multi-user-remote-desktop-app-for-mac-osx

[edit] although looking at the thread further what they've said might not be a viable solution[/edit]

I imagine it would get deleted if I posted the particular method for writing iPhone apps using the official iPhone SDK without having to sell your soul to purchase an iScam... but there is someone going by PCWiz who does a lot with VMware who can probably give you a bit of xmas joy. Google "pcwiz xelabo".

My brother has an iphone that I would be able to test on. Like I said though, I'm not really interested in spending a lot of money just to make one small app.

Guess how much apple are asking to replace the screen on my sister's 13" macbook?

$1000. She got the thing for $800 2-3 years ago...

Quote:
Original post by _Sauce_
Guess how much apple are asking to replace the screen on my sister's 13" macbook?

$1000. She got the thing for $800 2-3 years ago...
Can't be correct - call again and ask to talk to the service department directly. Apple does a flat-rate $300 fix anything wrong with the machine deal, which covered screen replacement last time I checked.

3rd party technicians can do the screen repair even cheaper, such as iResQ for under $200.

As to developing for iPhone without a Mac, there are a variety of solutions, of varying ease and legality. The easiest is to turn your PC into a hackintosh, or install OS X in a virtual machine, but both of these violate Apple's EULA.

The trickier route is to write an Objective-C 'shim', which handles the iPhone specific part of your application, and then write the rest in C++, which you can develop on a PC.

Keep in mind that you will need a Mac, plus the $100 iPhone devkit, if you want to deploy your application onto an iPhone. Also keep in mind that it is very hard to test multi-touch or accelerometer applications *without* deploying to iPhone.

Unfortunately I live in Australia, and whilst I would be comfortable replacing the screen myself, my sister wouldn't. When you factor in labour costs, as well as shipping the mac to the US and back, things start getting expensive.

I've searched for alternative services here but the cheapest I can't find was $300 for the screen alone - no labour involved. That's just too steep, imo. She would be better off selling her current one on ebay for $50 and just buying a new one.

ferretallicA, I've tried your suggestion and I'm having luck with it so far. Thanks :)

I have not tried it myself but someone posted a link here the other day

DragonFireSDK

Finally! Windows-based iPhone Development
Easily program in C/C++ using Microsoft Visual C++ and debugging tools. Resulting app is fully Apple iPhone App Store compliant.

The DragonFireSDK is ideal for creating the kind of 2d games that are most popular on the iPhone and will cost only $49.95.

We need your help! If you are a potential buyer of our software, we will send you a FREE Beta copy to test.