Program for iPhone without a mac?

Started by
10 comments, last by eFoDay 14 years, 3 months ago
I have an idea for a simple app that I'd like to make, but I do not have a mac with OSX leapord (sp?). My sister does have a mac, however the screen is cracked and all she can see is the upper left corner, which is only a few inches in size. Is there any way I can write an app for the iPhone on my win7 computer? I imagine I would at least have to compile it on the mac, however that should be okay as I can always get someone else to do that for me. edit: I would prefer to do this in C++ if possible, but I could get by with just plain C.
Advertisement
I believe iPhone development is done primarily in objective C, though there are certainly other options (Unity allows you to use some .NET languages, such as C#, JScript.NET and Boo). In any case, wouldn't the easiest option be to connect your monitor to your sister's Mac when using it?

As far as I'm aware, all current legit iPhone development involves XCode, which will only run on Mac OS.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

The problem with that is that it's her mac and she does actually use it every day, despite the handicap :P

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to get enough time on it to do any productive work.
You can write in C/C++, but the user interface would have to be in Obj-C. If you know c/c++, ObjC really isn't that different at all. The main issue is just learning Apple's API.
You could try remotely login in to use X-Code, which should let her simultaniously use the mac as she wishes
http://superuser.com/questions/30173/is-there-a-multi-user-remote-desktop-app-for-mac-osx

[edit] although looking at the thread further what they've said might not be a viable solution[/edit]
I imagine it would get deleted if I posted the particular method for writing iPhone apps using the official iPhone SDK without having to sell your soul to purchase an iScam... but there is someone going by PCWiz who does a lot with VMware who can probably give you a bit of xmas joy. Google "pcwiz xelabo".
Intelligence is only a state of mind.
Do you have an iPhone to test on? Can you get your sisters screen repaired? Maybe you could work out a sharing deal if you shared the cost of repairing/replacing the screen.
My brother has an iphone that I would be able to test on. Like I said though, I'm not really interested in spending a lot of money just to make one small app.

Guess how much apple are asking to replace the screen on my sister's 13" macbook?

$1000. She got the thing for $800 2-3 years ago...
Ouch. And you can't just plug in another monitor, like a dual-monitor setup but only actually using one monitor?
Quote:Original post by _Sauce_
Guess how much apple are asking to replace the screen on my sister's 13" macbook?

$1000. She got the thing for $800 2-3 years ago...
Can't be correct - call again and ask to talk to the service department directly. Apple does a flat-rate $300 fix anything wrong with the machine deal, which covered screen replacement last time I checked.

3rd party technicians can do the screen repair even cheaper, such as iResQ for under $200.

As to developing for iPhone without a Mac, there are a variety of solutions, of varying ease and legality. The easiest is to turn your PC into a hackintosh, or install OS X in a virtual machine, but both of these violate Apple's EULA.

The trickier route is to write an Objective-C 'shim', which handles the iPhone specific part of your application, and then write the rest in C++, which you can develop on a PC.

Keep in mind that you will need a Mac, plus the $100 iPhone devkit, if you want to deploy your application onto an iPhone. Also keep in mind that it is very hard to test multi-touch or accelerometer applications *without* deploying to iPhone.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement