[.net] vb.net logger question

Started by
2 comments, last by assainator 14 years, 3 months ago
heey all, At the moment i have a logger* in my program. (* I don't know what it name is, it writes all actions to a file.) The only problem is: The data is only written to the file when it is closed properly. (streamWriter.close() (replace streamWriter with var name)) This is done when the application is end's as it should. But when the app crashes, the data is not written to the file and I can't find out what happend. my code

Public Class Logger
    Private _LogMessages As ULong = 0
    Private stream As IO.StreamWriter

Public Sub OpenLog(ByVal file As String)
        stream = New IO.StreamWriter(file)
    End Sub

Public Sub CloseLog()
        stream.Close()
    End Sub

Public Sub Write(ByVal msg As String)
        If _LogMessages < 1000000 Then
            stream.Write(msg)
            _LogMessages += 1
        End If
    End Sub

Public Sub WriteLine(ByVal msg As String)
        If _LogMessages < 1000000 Then
            stream.WriteLine(msg)
            _LogMessages += 1
        End If
    End Sub
End Class

in the app it would be used as: 1. when the app start's the first thing it does is opening the log. 2. the app is in the main loop and does what it should do, logs everything 3. the app quit's and closes the logger. But if the app crashes the 'stream' is not closed properly so the data is not written to the file. the question get's down to: What can i do to make sure the filestream is closed properly even if the app crashes? thanks in advance, assainator
"What? It disintegrated. By definition, it cannot be fixed." - Gru - Dispicable me

"Dude, the world is only limited by your imagination" - Me

Advertisement
First quick answer:
Use the Flush method after each Write. That will solve your problem.

Second answer:

Have a look at the Tracing classes in .NET. There is a class that will do all of this for you by simply configuring it.
Another solution is to use exception handling, by using the Try/Finally statements:

logger = New Logger()Try  ' Main application code here - try to enclose as much of it as possible  ' by wrapping it as close to the entry point as possibleFinally  logger.CloseLog()End Try

.. or implement IDisposable and use the Using statement:

Using logger As New Logger()  ' Main application code here, as aboveEnd Using
Thanks for all input, I have it working now.

assainator
"What? It disintegrated. By definition, it cannot be fixed." - Gru - Dispicable me

"Dude, the world is only limited by your imagination" - Me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement