C++ Book

Started by
6 comments, last by OneThreeThreeSeven 14 years, 3 months ago
I was wondering what book I should read next after C Plus Plus for Dummies? I am currently reading it and it is a rather confusing book, even with Basic experience. Any advice would be appreciated.
Advertisement
From personal experience, I wouldn't recommend the Dummies books. My Dad was a director (retired recently) at the company that publishes them. He agreed with me over Christmas dinner that they weren't very good (although I guess it depends on the author).

I am in a similar position to you on the experience front. I am currently reading 'The C Programming Language' by K&R. According to reviewers on Amazon the equivalent C++ book, written by Bjarne Stroustrup (creator of C++), isn't the easiest thing to read and isn't a great start for beginners. Now, I know you shouldn't blindly go on the opinion of others, but the reviews on Amazon have yet to let me down.

My 2 pence.
I would highly recommend switching to Thinking in C++ or C++ Primer Plus 5th edition. You can get Thinking in C++ free online at the authors website.
Thinking In C++ 2nd edition
Bjarne's book is working for me. The only complaint I have is it drags in some areas (since I already have some experience but can't skip ahead due to chapters building on each other) I'm sure the extra detail will be useful sometime in the future. In other words, some parts will be repetitive but things are explained in depth and simple to understand.
C++: Where your friends have access to your private members
I'm learning from Sams Teach Yourself c++ in 21 Days. So far I've found it to be really good. I think The c++ workshops for beginners here on gamedev are based on it.

The only thing I don't like about it (so far) is that the book teaches object-oriented programming before even getting into basic loops. I guess I just think classes should be left until more basic things have been covered.

It's a pretty sizeable book, so get ready for some heavy reading lol. It's roughly 900 pages.
I'm learning from Sams Teach Yourself c++ in 21 Days. So far I've found it to be really good. I think The c++ workshops for beginners here on gamedev are based on it.

The only thing I don't like about it (so far) is that the book teaches object-oriented programming before even getting into basic loops. I guess I just think classes should be left until more basic things have been covered.

It's a pretty sizeable book, so get ready for some heavy reading lol. It's roughly 900 pages.
I wouldn't recommend Bjarne's book for a starting point to learn C++, but I would recommend that you read it eventually. It's one of the best ways to "make sure" you have a solid grasp of the language.
c++ Primer PLus 5th edition prata

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement