Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Projection matrix

This topic is 5982 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to make a program that is a very basic 3D engine, in software - no opengl calls. The idea is, I have a transformation matrix, and the openGL projeciton matrix. However, the object I am projecting is specified in local coordinates (ie around 0,0,0). In order for the projection to work correctly, the object has to be in the viewing volume, so I translate it. The problem is the translation messes up the transformation matrix. let P be the projection matrix, f = 200, n = 1, l=b=1, r=t=-1 let T be the transformation matrix let B be the translation to get the object into global coordinates currently, I am multiplying every point in the object by the matrix X=TPB This doesn''t work, because when the transformation is a rotation not around the axis of translation, very obvious quirks appear(not rotating the object around its origin). I swear I have tried every combination of putting the translation and inverse of the translation in, and it just will NOT come out correctly. Any help would be reaaallly nice . Thanks, Dan

Depends on your assumptions I thought. . .Does the same thing, except your model will be all right multiply, including the point, and mine will be all left multiply, including the point.

-Dan