Sign in to follow this  
Ntvu

Pathetic internet connection... so annoying

I've been dealing with this for years already and I'm starting to lose it. My internet connection is seriously the worst I've ever had; I've never seen anything worse than it besides dial up. I live in the countryside so I can't really get any good Internet connection, and Comcast cable is too expensive. However... my internet is awful! I'm using SBC DSL. It downloads at 20 kbps which is awful. This is the same for both wireless and hard-wire connections. The upload is slightly faster but still terrible compared to other DSL services. I've seen other people's DSL download at 1150 kbps and they're also using SBC. I'd really like to know why my Internet is so damn slow and how I can fix this problem/nuisance. It's really starting to get on my nerves now and it's pissed me off a lot in the past. I think that my router may be part of the problem although I'm not completely sure. My router is a Trendnet TEW-432BRP. I don't know how good that is but I guess you guys could tell me. It's received decent ratings on Amazon but I personally don't think it's that good because the Internet still goes down at least once every hour and disconnects me when I'm playing games.

How are you measuring transfer rates? Getting 20kps from some random site isn't too bad.

Dropping connectivity might be a router issue, or it might be a dsl issue because you're at the border of signal range, or your ISP might just randomly hate you. Honestly we can't really diagnose anything remotely.

The quality of a DSL connection is also largely a factor of how far you are from your telephone exchange and the quality of the line between your house and the exchange. If you live in the country side, it's quite possible that your telephone exchange is quite a long distance away and/or a really old/bad quality line.

You could technically ring your phone company and ask them to test it, but if it needs to be replaced, it's going to be really expensive...

contact their tech support.

Also, I have that same routeur for 4 years. Works very well except for the occasional jam up which requires a reboot for the router. no biggy.