Games with unique visual artstyles/solutions

Started by
12 comments, last by shadowcomplex 14 years, 2 months ago
Hello! So to get straight to it, i'm putting together a little library for references/inspiration when it comes to developing concepts/ideas for games. It will consist of images from certain unique games, and will be a little tool to see how other game developers have solved different problems/obstacles (or just improvements) when it comes to everything from general artstyle, HUD solutions etc. So thats when you guys come in, as i'm having a hard time trying to remember all the notable games out there. 10, 30, 100 heads think (..remembers?) better than 1! So, if any game crosses your mind, i would be grateful for even just the name of the game, or of course, feel free to elaborate! I might also add that i am interested in any input, but for now its primarily 2D artstyles/HUD solutions etc, as i'm working on a 2D game with a few fellow students, with ambitions for the XBLA with time. Example; Braid: Awesome hand drawn'ish art - <link-to-image> World of Goo: Smooth and simple vector'ish artstyle - <link-to-image> Dead Space: Extraordinary and unique menu visuals - <link-to-image> Far Cry 2: Execeptional way of viewing the map - <link-to-image> I might also add that i'm completely open to share it all when its somewhat finished, for others to use or look over, instead of doing extensive web searches over time. So, what you say? :)
Advertisement
I was going to suggest Braid :(. You really cant tell how beautiful that game is until you play it, though.

How about machinarium: http://machinarium.net/demo/
Thats true :) And yeah, machinarium is really beautiful, i was truly amazed the first time i saw it earlier. Noted!
I particularly liked the campaign select/mission briefing GUIs of Warcraft and Starcraft (mainly the animations, so you'd need to do a videocapture, preferably with sound effects).

I'm replaying Azure Dreams for the umpteenth time and was appreciating how hilarious the status-ailment faces your character makes in the menu are. They're basically anime SD faces, the kind you would see as mood icons in someone's Livejournal.

A selection of all different kinds of perspectives would be great - you know, platformer, platformer + z-travel, overhead, 3/4 overhead, isometric, side-on, etc.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Yeah still gathering here! Feel free to share other good aspects within GUI/visual art style or solutions.

Here's the games so far i've documented (when it comes to visual style)

Feist
Super Mario World 2
Abes Oddysee
Flipside
Braid
World of Goo
Machinarium
ICO
Beyond Good n Evil
Zelda Windwaker
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami
Eternal Sonata
Team Fortress 2
Little Big Planet
Mirrors Edge
Prince of Persia
Valkyria Chronicles
Brutal Legend
Ratchet n Clank: A crack in time
Trine
Uncharted 2

[Edited by - 3ra on January 1, 2010 5:00:10 PM]
There's one for WiiWare called And Yet It Turns (or something like that) that uses papier-mache collage for its art. That's definitely unique.
C++: Where your friends have access to your private members
Dont forget The devils tuning fork: http://devilstuningfork.com/
Awesome. Thanks again.. Keep em coming!
Thanks for sharing Braid, I had never heard of it and am now in the process of downloading it after watching the trailer :-). Might I suggest Cavestory to this list?
Critter Crunch

A Boy And His Blob (the new one)

Actually, there are tons of 2D games coming out with great art styles.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement