Sign in to follow this  
RealMarkP

[C++] Variable Template Parameters

I'm curious, is there anyway to actually do this? I would like to have a templated class with variable amount of Template parameters:
template<class T, ...>
class foo
{
  T x;
  /// etc...

};

Or would I have to specify a template class for a static number of template parameters. I had a look at the tuple code from boost and they manually speciy up to 10 parameters. It seems very repetative. Any thoughts?

It's a native feature of the language in C++0x, the next version of the standard which isn't completed yet. If you use a recent version of GCC, it probably already supports this by using the command line option to enable C++0x features.

Otherwise, you're out of luck. Boost uses variadic templates in a number of places, but in all cases you're limited to a compile time constant number of template parameters, and they hack it together using preprocessor magic.

If you want to hack it together up to a predefined maximum number of parameters, the easiest way of doing it (unless you want to learn how to use Boost.Preprocessor, which is no easy feat) is by making a dummy class called 'nop', and then using template specializations for various numbers of nops. For example, here's a class template that takes 3, 4, 5, or 6 args.

template<class T, class U, class V, class A1=nop, class A2=nop, class A3=nop>
class Foo : public FooConfig<T,U,V,A1,A2,A3>{};

template<class T, class U, class V, class A1, class A2, class A3>
class FooConfig {};

//This specialization is instantiated if used with 3 arguments
template<class T, class U, class V>
class FooConfig <T,U,V,nop,nop,nop>
{
};

//This specialization is instantiated if used with 4 arguments
template<class T, class U, class V, class A1>
class FooConfig <T,U,V,A1,nop,nop>
{
};

//This specialization is instantiated if used with 5 arguments
template<class T, class U, class V, class A1, class A2>
class FooConfig <T,U,V,A1,A2,nop>
{
};

//This specialization is instantiated if used with 6 arguments
template<class T, class U, class V, class A1, class A2, class A3>
class FooConfig <T,U,V,A1,A2,A3>
{
};

Obviously all versions are going to share a lot of common functionality, so FooConfig just defines a common set of typedefs that can be used by Foo.

This can be automated with Boost.Preprocessor as mentioned so that you can do something like

#define MAX_FOO_ARGS 50

and then it will do all this work for you, but it's beyond my ability so I wouldn't be able to help you with that :(

How verbose this has to be depends greatly on what you intend to do with the template parameters within the class. If you simply need the ability to iterate across a set of types, you can do that fairly easily using boost::mpl and BOOST_PP:

#define MAX_PARAMS <N>

struct none;

template<BOOST_PP_ENUM_PARAMS_WITH_A_DEFAULT(MAX_PARAMS, typename Param, none)>
class foo
{
typedef typename boost::mpl::remove_if
<
typename boost::mpl::vector<BOOST_PP_ENUM_PARAMS(MAX_PARAMS, Param)>::type,
boost::is_same<boost::mpl::_1, none>
>::type parameters;
};

Once you have the parameters mpl::vector, you can use all the normal MPL algorithms to get the parameters you need. For instance the third template parameter (if applicable) would be:

typename boost::mpl::at_c<parameters, 2>::type

If you need to store a set of objects based on these parameters, you might want to look into boost::fusion. If you for instance wanted to store one instance of every parameter, you could use a fusion::vector:

typedef typename boost::fusion::result_of::as_vector<parameters>::type instance_vector;
instance_vector instances;

The third instance would then be:

boost::fusion::at_c<2>(instances)

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Forgot setting the default type.