Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyCode

tangent matrix inverse

hello! I want to move a normal from texture space to object space. I have a tangent matrix that moves from object space to texture space. If I inverse this matrix, will I then have a matrix that will move a direction vector from texture space to object space?

Quote:
Original post by JohnnyCode
hello!
I want to move a normal from texture space to object space. I have a tangent matrix that moves from object space to texture space. If I inverse this matrix, will I then have a matrix that will move a direction vector from texture space to object space?

The general answer is yes; but I generally prefer to perform calculus in Tangent Space (but this is personally).

Regards
Mauro
http://www.breakinglass.com

Yes you are correct, but:

Usually you keep your tangent space matrix orthonormal (though you don't have to)
which allows you to use the transpose of that matrix as its inverse because keeping both at every vertex would be expensive.

In practice, in hlsl, just multiply from the left to go one way, and from the right to go the other way, because mul(v,M) is the same as mul(transpose(M),v)

Quote:
Original post by kgy
Yes you are correct, but:

Usually you keep your tangent space matrix orthonormal (though you don't have to)
which allows you to use the transpose of that matrix as its inverse because keeping both at every vertex would be expensive.

In practice, in hlsl, just multiply from the left to go one way, and from the right to go the other way, because mul(v,M) is the same as mul(transpose(M),v)

Thanks!