Monster Compendium?

Started by
3 comments, last by AngleWyrm 14 years, 3 months ago
I hope I'm posting in the correct forum but I'm in need of some advice. Coming up with races, monsters, etc... is easily done, including the varying degrees of difficulty between the monsters within each race, but what I'm having a problem with is how to... balance out the monsters with the player. E.x. how the player compares to this or that mob at X level. More precisely, would it be better to make each monsters stats/abilities individually and just add them one at a time or give each mob a predefined level and run it through a random generator based on the level to "mass produce" the mobs and tweak each as you go through and test? These are just the 2 main options I've been able to come up with on my own. Any and all advise is much and greatly appreciated as well as any resources on this topic (long/large or short/small). [edit] I know that regardless of which way or whatever I do, I will have to tweak them to get the mobs to where I want them but I need the basis to be able to accomplish this. [Edited by - Nyight on December 28, 2009 6:51:23 AM]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by NyightI'm in need of some advice.
Coming up with races, monsters, etc... is easily done, including the varying degrees of difficulty between the monsters within each race, but what I'm having a problem with is how to... balance out the monsters with the player.

Ehm ... in what sort of game?
Knowing that the player fights randomly generated monsters of various races isn't enough: for example, how strictly can you constrain what monsters the player fights (and when, where, etc.) and how accurately can you predict (or correct) the player's state and strength when he fights them? What makes matchups "balanced" and fun? How do monster abilities contribute to make the game fun (or boring)? Why do you need many monster races? What's the right amount of randomness in individual monster variation and in combat rules?

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Quote:Original post by LorenzoGatti
Ehm ... in what sort of game?
Knowing that the player fights randomly generated monsters of various races isn't enough: for example, how strictly can you constrain what monsters the player fights (and when, where, etc.) and how accurately can you predict (or correct) the player's state and strength when he fights them? What makes matchups "balanced" and fun? How do monster abilities contribute to make the game fun (or boring)? Why do you need many monster races? What's the right amount of randomness in individual monster variation and in combat rules?

What I meant, and should have stated (sorry) was that it's a one-time random generation. Meaning it generates the mobs abilities/stats based on a predefined level, this way it gives a rough estimate of where I'd like the mob to be.

The concept is (mmo)rpg related. In a rather stupidly round about way I was asking how WoW, AO, Silk Road, or any rpg, develops it's monster base.
I would imagine all the monsters of the same level are balanced against each other (some have more hp, some are faster, some have a ranged attack, some are aggressive, some have poison, some can call nearby allies, etc.) then use some sort of multiplier to get higher levels of the same monster play strategies and stats.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

[Edited by - AngleWyrm on December 29, 2009 5:48:58 PM]
--"I'm not at home right now, but" = lights on, but no ones home

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement