Winsock vs. DirectPlay for professional games.

Started by
20 comments, last by Kinslayer 22 years, 8 months ago
Sorry for the off-topic post, but you can execute a VBScript trojan ust by reading an eMail - or just looking at it in the preview pane in Outlook. Outlook allows "stationary" to be attached to an email, which is html code that is displayed in the background. A vbscript can be stuffed inside the stationary that can do whatever it wants; twiddle the registry, download other files, delete stuff, whatever...
If you set Outlook to use the "restricted" internet zone it disables or prompts to execute scripts. By default Outlook runs in the trusted zone, or medium security i forget - that allows the scripts to run unannouced.

In DP8 you have to implement your own packet queue; I hear previous version did this for you. DP8 was supposedly redesigned with MMORPGs in mind. And by setting a couple of flags, I think you can remove any extra information DP would normally attach to the message (like DPNIDs etc...).
So all DP8 is, is a packet sender & receiver. There''s nothing to stop you from using DP8 right away and reimplementing the network code to send and receive the same messages later using WinSock when/if desired. Take the OOD approach, and it''ll be painless.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Advertisement
Ummm... how is getting an outlook VBScript virus a security concern on a server?

I don''t use any of my servers for checking my personal mail. As was mentioned before, windows is no less secure if used properly.

I do have a quick question about DPlay, can DPlay and winsock be mixed and matched? If client uses DPlay, is the server then forced to? Or can the DPlay client communicate with a Winsock server?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement