Sign in to follow this  
EmpireProductions

Need some advice

I have started working on my own MMO Engine. I have a working Authentication Server, World Server, Client, AI Client. They all work together and you can have multiple people on the serevr, see each other, and talk to each other. I got discouraged on it when I ran into some problems with getting combat working and so I switched to Multiverse where I could just focus on game logic and not have to deal with making the engine as well. However now comparing screenshots and discovering I am going to have to redo a bunch of code just to get the database working better I am having 2nd thoughts that maybe making my own engine in the long run is the best choice. Multiverse hardly ever gets updated where as with my own engine we could add the features as we needed them and wouldn't have to wait for them to be added. What do you guys think? Which way would be the best stick with multiverse or continue our own engine?

One vote for continue.

Best to know exactly how your engine works and fix problems, than trying to find work-arounds for other engines.

Looks like if you go down the premade engine route more problems will arise.

But hey, might work for you, just thought i'd give my 2 pence.

PureBlackSin

Thanks. I really am thinking that our own engine would be the best choice. I have to talk it over with our other programmer though. He is a professional Java Programmer but the servers and client for the engine i was making uses Raknet for networking so it is all done in C++. I need to see if he would be willing to work with C++ instead of Java. I would not be able to continue the engine if it ended up just being me working on it. Way to much to do for 1 person.

I have to say if you got as far as you did with your own engine you are in great shape. That is a lot of work and a huge accomplishment. Sure you hit a road block but that is the life of game development. We all hit our own road blocks. Just push through it research if you must. But if I got as far as you did with my own engine I would feel really bad about abandoning it. I say stick with your own engine.