Sign in to follow this  
Steptepha55

Cloth in MMORPG game

Sorry for my bad English. Hello I made my character for my MMORPG game. It doesn't has any cloth so I want to make cloth, shorts, hat, etc. I don't want to bind these in modeling tool. I know I must separate it and bind it when program but if I set cloth position same character when my character playing animation e.g. attack monster you'll see cloth isn't following body. Is anyway to solve this. Thank you. PS. I don't want to use cloth in Physic Engine.

I assume you want cloth on your characters, but you are separating it out into another file for the sake of being able to turn random clothing items on and off. The best you can do, if you don't want to simulate it, is to have matching animations for cloth. So, you'd animate the cloth along side every animation for your character, and in game play the matching anims on both at the same time.

If your game is 2D, then you will be having to draw and redraw your clothing in each position, and render the clothing ontop of the character.

If your game is a keyframe-based 3D, you will be effectively doing the same thing. If your game is a skeleton-based 3D, then just map the clothing to the skeleton, and you get all the animation for free.

Chances are though that even if your game is a keyframe-based 3D, the animation authoring side of things is a skeleton-based 3D, so you would just use your authoring tool to spit out the keyframes.

If you're looking for realistic cloth simulation, then that is another story entirely. It is also a huge topic in it's own right, and has very little to do with actual rendering.