Sign in to follow this  
Yamikomittsu

RPG game question

Hi, I know java and C++ but I know more java because I made many non-game programs for class at my college and few softwares for my personal. I learned how to make 2D game with C++ and Allergo. I finished to make simple 2D game. I read "RPG Programming with DirectX" book but I didn't finish to read it because I left it in my friend's house. She didn't mail it to me for long time. So, I decide to try to make small RPG game with java and 2D graphic, because I want to build my experience. I am not sure what I need to do something for this game. So, I like to ask you for few questions. Can I use J2SE language for RPG game? Because I do not know how to write script in game engine. If yes, can you tell me how I write script? This RPG game is offline and online. For online, player will fight against other player. So, don't I need to use java database or SQL for this? I will look forward your reply. ^^

Quote:
Original post by Yamikomittsu
Can I use J2SE language for RPG game?

Yes

Quote:
Because I do not know how to write script in game engine. If yes, can you tell me how I write script?

You dont necessarily need a scripting engine or a game engine. For starters, you should just write the RPG and look at adding scripting functionality later.

Quote:
This RPG game is offline and online. For online, player will fight against other player. So, don't I need to use java database or SQL for this?

Depends on your game design.

Thank you for reply and hint. ^^

I see. I used RPG Maker 2000/VX before. I saw that they have database in option I think. Do RPG Maker have its own database?

I am sorry because I never make any program with database before but I will learn it later.

Maybe try forgetting about the database and scripting for now, and code the essential portions of the game. Get a player-controllable character in the world. By then you will better know what you will need to complete the game.