• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Can somebody tell me what type (if any) math this is?

This topic is 2946 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Here's my problem: I have a variable x that starts at 1.0 and I need to find the coefficient that will drop it down to a target value(say 0.1) in exactly t steps through successive multiplying. so let x = 1; we multiply it by d=0.9 and x becomes 0.9. Repeat again, now x becomes 0.81. What I need to find is the value of d that will drop x to some specific target in the specified number of steps. As a bit of a math n00b (I only did 'easy' math in highschool) i am wondering two things - is this a specific "type" of math, or is it well within highschool algebra? Seems like it might be calculus, which I have just got some books on, but haven't had the time to jump in yet. The second thing I am wondering is, how would I express this problem properly? I assume it will involve the summation symbol at some point - I'd like to be able to clearly articulate it in the proper nomenclature. Any and all help, as always, is appreciated thoroughly!! *side note: I could use a recursive function to code a way to find it, but perhaps there is an easier/more sensible way, which is why I would like to look at how this would actually be accomplished mathematically

Advertisement
You need logarithms.

Your problem is basically

c = x*d^k

Where c is you target number, x is your initial value, d is your multiplier, and k is the number of steps.

So if you want to find d, you do...

c/x = d^k
ln(c/x) = k*ln(d)
ln(c/x)/k = ln(d)
e^(ln(c/x)/k) = e^ln(d) = d

Therefore, you have exp(ln(c/x)/k) = d.

Quote:
Original post by choffstein
You need logarithms.

Your problem is basically

c = x*d^k

Where c is you target number, x is your initial value, d is your multiplier, and k is the number of steps.

So if you want to find d, you do...

c/x = d^k
ln(c/x) = k*ln(d)
ln(c/x)/k = ln(d)
e^(ln(c/x)/k) = e^ln(d) = d

Therefore, you have exp(ln(c/x)/k) = d.

AWESOME! ratings++ :)

Hi djz,

what you're looking for is called the n-th (or, expressed with your variable names, the t-th) root of the "target value":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nth_root

You probably know the "square root" or "2nd root" function, which is the answer to the question "which number must be multiplied with itself -once- to get the target value?" This can be generalized to "which number must be multiplied with itself n times to get the target value?", and this is called the n-th root.

The n-th root can also be expressed as the (1/n)-th power of the "target value", so you can use your programming language's power function to compute it. In C or C++, for example, the n-th root of the target value "y" is returned by

pow(y, 1.0/n).

[edit]
Oh, I see, my answer comes a bit late. choffstein's solution is more general, since it allows your x to be any value. My answer is only correct if your x is always = 1, but, you said it is ;).
[/edit]

Quote:
Original post by wurstbrot
Hi djz,

what you're looking for is called the n-th (or, expressed with your variable names, the t-th) root of the "target value":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nth_root

You probably know the "square root" or "2nd root" function, which is the answer to the question "which number must be multiplied with itself -once- to get the target value?" This can be generalized to "which number must be multiplied with itself n times to get the target value?", and this is called the n-th root.

The n-th root can also be expressed as the (1/n)-th power of the "target value", so you can use your programming language's power function to compute it. In C or C++, for example, the n-th root of the target value "y" is returned by

pow(y, 1.0/n).

[edit]
Oh, I see, my answer comes a bit late. choffstein's solution is more general, since it allows your x to be any value. My answer is only correct if your x is always = 1, but, you said it is ;).
[/edit]

no problem! I am glad to see the approach to this specific case. thanks :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement