Radeon 5k series and GL driver status?

Started by
7 comments, last by Yann L 14 years, 3 months ago
I am wondering what the state of ATI's drivers are for OpenGL 3.2 on their latest driver 9.12? Buggy? All of GL3.2 supported? Thanks
Advertisement
Yes, GL v3.2 is supported, but support for it is very buggy. At least I have no success with geometry shaders (even simplest ones) and transform feedback. That is for both HD5x and HD4x cards.
that sucks! :( I am in the market to get a new Gfx card and if that is the case I am not jumping off the Nvidia bandwagon.
Well I would guess the problems will be fixed in the next driver releases. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Hey YannL, are you using a Radeon 5k card? :) I know you have had such great things to say about ATI in the past, LOL, really though, I am just curious if they finally getting their act together...
Thanks
Quote:Original post by MARS_999
Hey YannL, are you using a Radeon 5k card? :) I know you have had such great things to say about ATI in the past, LOL, really though, I am just curious if they finally getting their act together...
Thanks

Since ATI became AMD, lots of things have changed for the better. Todays OpenGL drivers are not even comparable to the abomination that were the old ATI ones. While I am mostly on NV, the last tests I did on a 4890 were very positive. Although I wasn't using GL3.2 core, but GL2.x + lots of 3.x extensions. The simple fact that AMD has developed 3.2 core drivers (eventhough still buggy) in under 10 years is a sign things have changed ;)
I am still using GL2.1+ extensions e.g. texture arrays, PBO, FBO and would like to use Geometry Shaders sometime. I see that these are all supported now, but are they supported under a 2.1 RC? and if so do they work without me pulling my hair out! :)

Thanks for any input.
I couldn't get the code here to work on 5850 with catalyst 9.12 though it was working on a nvidia 8600.
The code is here :
http://glbase.codeplex.com/
I am still using GL2.1+ extensions e.g. texture arrays, PBO, FBO and would like to use Geometry Shaders sometime. I see that these are all supported now, but are they supported under a 2.1 RC?

Yep.

and if so do they work without me pulling my hair out! :)

Seem to work fine for all what I tried. I haven't really stress tested GS though. Tex arrays, PBOs and FBOs all work very well. The latter even with multisampled FBOs onto a HDR R11G11B10 target :)

Careful with GLSL though. AMDs GLSL compiler is a lot more picky about syntax and spec compliance than NVs. Some constructs will compile fine on NV even if they're not 100% standard compliant. These will fail on AMD. But as long as you follow the standard, there shouldn't be any problems.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement