• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ehsan_wwe

OpenGL laod 3d model in VB opengl

This topic is 3192 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi all developers i need to import 3d model from 3d max exportesr formats to Visul basic opengl i can't find any library for this and have a question :D languAge of VB opengl differ to language of opengl in VC++ ?

Advertisement
opengl is essentially the same in C++ and VB. The place where everything is different is in the language itself. VB and C++ are very different language. If you plan to switch to C++, I don't suggest you to go with opengl at the begining. Learning C++ is a big task by itself without the opengl part.

hope that helps

OpenGL doesn't know how to load models, no matter the language. The very concept of a "model" doesn't exist in OpenGL, you'll need to write the code to parse the model file and bring the vertices into memory yourself.

To my knowledge, OpenGL doesn't provide any function for loading meshes from the file system. To do this you must either use a 3rd party library, or implement your own loader. I'm not sure if you're asking for information on how to load the 3ds format, or if any format exported by 3ds Max will work. If it's the latter I suggest you have a look at Wavefront OBJ, because it is ridiculously easy to parse.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!