Plzz help

Started by
18 comments, last by snake5 14 years, 3 months ago
i really want to learn game programming (i'm fine with any language)but i cant find anyone to teach me can somebody please be my tutor
Advertisement
Of course you can't. I'm sorry but with that attitude and lack of communication skill I doubt that you'll find anyone. But I'll give you a chance to prove that you're ready. Just answer the questions.
So...
1. What have you done yourself?
2. Why do you think teaching you programming is worth spending our time - why should we help?
3. What do you really want to learn?
4. Why do you want to be a game programmer?
Moving to another forum as it doesn't apply to the Help Wanted forum at all.

Thanks,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

how young are you? the younger the better if your first starting off.
Making games is hard, cause not only do you have to know how to program, you have to know how to program real slick cause two potato men belting each other with carrots (when it looks real primitive) may be good for a project where one doesnt care about graphics and gameplay but if you want to make something that could make it onto the video shop shelf its going to be worse than being a smart kid, its gonna be something only a true honer of skill could possibly come up with.

When you first model a player character, it looks like a blob of goop.
When you first go to animate a player character, he looks like hes being attacked by a virus.
When you first go to make a background track, it sounds like a drunk monkey tapping his teeth on a beer bottle.
When you first go to make your "level editor" even if you get the screen to work first time its amazing, then if you could actually make anything half valid with it id be suprised.

So, its definitely not going to be your "first time" to finish a shelf game, its in fact not going to be your second time either, or third, in fact, you might not even get there till the day you die because you give up and forget that you even thought you could even do something this complicated.

Not everyone even makes it to a job in this industry, most people give up and die and say its impossible.

Now are you sure you want to learn programming, im telling you - you BETTER BE YOUNG, cause your gonna need ALOT OF TIME.

And to your question? JUST LOOK UP C TUTORIAL!
http://www.gameinstitute.com/ might be of interest, they have a very good audio + slides introduction to C++. Dont bother with C for now, go straight to object oriented programming because that is what majority of people use.

After that you can move on to their graphic programming course.
You also need maths, but dont focus on that too much right now, first is a programming language.

Good luck
A strong motivation is the biggest part of what you need to become self-taught, which is what I recommend.
The main thing you need to be aware of is that you can't rush learning. Don't give your goals too short a time frame or you've failed before you begin. Whatever game you want to ideally make, you need to work your skill level up to what that project requires of you.
I.e. don't aim to start with a first person shooter if you cant develop tic-tac-toe yet.

Surround yourself with some good reference material (you can find pretty much all you need online) and just start making something that is of at least some interest to you.
There are plenty of people on here who can provide a little assistance along the way if you get into any difficulty, and we tell you if we think you've picked something too challenging. You'll hopefully find that it's better having many people each only providing a little help occasionally than one person helping you all the time. (especially if the sole person who did end up helping you turns out to be teaching you lots of bad habbits)

Anyway, can you describe the extent of your current programming experience?
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
This web page wants to be your tutor:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

Ditto on what rouncED said...

I wish someone would have tutored me when I got into this 10 years ago, and I'm JUST NOW starting to make something somewhat neat. The only reason I made it this far is because I was motivated and addicted to it.
well i'm 12. so far i have a basic knowledge of html and php (yes i know i cant use those languages for making games) i have access to a program called autodesk 3ds max. i play games most of the time and i have an idea for a game i want to make evnetually. about the math involved in programming, i'm in the gifted program mainly because of my math (i was at a grade 6 level when i was 6). i wan't to learn game programming because i've always been intrested in how a sequnce of letters numbers and symbols can make a game work. the only problem i have is that i normally expect to much of myself.
Quote:Original post by firefly1337
html and php (yes i know i cant use those languages for making games)

You could make a browser game with that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement