• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neo_the_great_hacker

OpenGL Tuning OpenGL Programs

This topic is 6196 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there an easy efficient way to tune your windows OpenGL programs? I have a 700 mhz Athlon + Geforce 256 and my processor usage is by 100 % even though I haven''t even started using textures? Are display lists a solution???

Advertisement
100% is normal even for a blank window. would u want it otherwise. though i suppose u could chuck in a sleep call if u wish

You have to realize that framerate, not processor utilization, is the proper measure of your program''s speed. Since as soon as the engine is done with one frame it starts on the next (at least, in most engines) 100% utilization is normal.

Yeah.. I''d love to be able to do something else while running a engine window.... Can''t wait to get a dual processor system :o))

cya,
Phil

Visit Rarebyte!
and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this questions a few times over in the states

OK, sorry but I''ve just started OpenGL and bought the Superbible, and there actually are programs on the CD which only use 66% of the processor, so I thought I may have to do something to tune my applications.
Thanks anyway

That would probably be the ones using multithreading (Chapter 19 i believe). Either that, or you have some other program running as well which is using some cpu time.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!