Tuning OpenGL Programs

Started by
5 comments, last by Neo_the_great_hacker 22 years, 8 months ago
Is there an easy efficient way to tune your windows OpenGL programs? I have a 700 mhz Athlon + Geforce 256 and my processor usage is by 100 % even though I haven''t even started using textures? Are display lists a solution???
Advertisement
yes, they are one of many solutions. they can be good for small scenes, but for large dynamic scenes vertex arrays or compiled vertex arrays would be better.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

HHSDrum@yahoo.com
Polarisoft Home Page
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
100% is normal even for a blank window. would u want it otherwise. though i suppose u could chuck in a sleep call if u wish
You have to realize that framerate, not processor utilization, is the proper measure of your program''s speed. Since as soon as the engine is done with one frame it starts on the next (at least, in most engines) 100% utilization is normal.
Yeah.. I''d love to be able to do something else while running a engine window.... Can''t wait to get a dual processor system :o))

cya,
Phil

Visit Rarebyte!
and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this questions a few times over in the states
Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )
OK, sorry but I''ve just started OpenGL and bought the Superbible, and there actually are programs on the CD which only use 66% of the processor, so I thought I may have to do something to tune my applications.
Thanks anyway
That would probably be the ones using multithreading (Chapter 19 i believe). Either that, or you have some other program running as well which is using some cpu time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement