Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

biped export troubles

This topic is 5986 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hi, I have created a few animations in Max 4. I export them with the .prb export utiltiy, and it appears to work properly. However, when I build the .chr in chrEdit, it looks like the animations are somehow truncated. For instance the arm, in the max animation swongs all the way back and above the characters head.. However, with the same animation in chrEdit, the arm is only raised to just above the hip. My walk animation was also somehow altered, so the legs dont swing back and forth as far as they should. My character looks sorta like a recent inductee into the Ministry Of Silly Walks.. any ideas? Thanks MF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is caused by the motion blending between animations. You can turn this off or reduce the number of frames by changing these globals in the character engine:

PR_DWORD BlendMotions = 1; // true/false
PR_DWORD BlendFrames = 20;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks for the quick reply Chris, it''s appreciated.

I tried toying around with those globals in mdata.c I assume this is the correct file?

I rebuilt the chredit program but no changes I make to these globals seem to be doing anything.

Is there anything else you can think that I might be doing wrong?

thanks

Jason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I''m pretty sure this is the problem.

First did you recompile the character LIBRARY as well as the CHR Edit tool? You either want to turn off motion blending (BlendMotions = 0) or reduce the number of frames (say around 5). It also helps if your motions are longer. For instance if your motion is 40 frames long and the blending frames is set to 20, half your motion will be blending from the previous pose and won''t look like you expected.



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That is exactly what the problem was.

I had to make the change to mdata.c and then open the character system workspace and rebuild that.

then open the chredit workspace and rebuild chredit.

Previously, I was not rebuilding the character system.


thanks

Jason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites