dx9 and ddraw

Started by
10 comments, last by jharkey 22 years, 8 months ago
Powers of two is faster because of how a computer works. DirectDraw doesn''t force you to take advantage of that like D3D does. With D3D if you use an odd shaped image it will waste memory to make it fit properly. DDraw doesn''t care.

All 3D cards have 2D acceleration as well although I don''t think it''s been improved upon for quite a while.

Ben

Jump Down The Rabbithole
Advertisement
Even if DD comes back, I won''t be going down that road again. DX8''s lack of Blt made me take a look at using D3D screen-space triangles for 2D sprite rendering, and I love it!
The bilinear filtering of scaled and rotated sprites is worth it by itself (looks solid as hell), not to mention hardware-accelerated alpha rendering, and per-pixel alpha capability (great for antialiased sprite edges via a feathered alpha channel in the source image). Rotation is a breeze, as is scaling. Plus you''ve got full access to the ridiculous amounts of pixel fill rate in today''s 3D accellerators.

Bringing DD back for the beginners would be great, but I''m happy with what we''ve got.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement