• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Orymus

Breaking into Game Design

33 posts in this topic

Quote:
Original post by Tom Sloper
Quote:
Original post by Dragonsdale
what if you're not the coding kind but the storywriting and artsy kind? How do you get your foot in the door?

If you "View Forum FAQ" (see link above), you will find answers to this sort of Frequently Asked Question (get it? Frequently Asked Question... FAQ...)

right, sorry. feel like such a noob now

Quote:
Original post by Obscure
Because they are not as dumb as you seem to think - they realised that a degree is useful for their career ...

You could be right about some students, but a lot of them are just studying because they don't know what else to do and don't want to work yet. Even in university/master's. At least that's how it is where I come from. History is a popular choice for those students.

Quote:
Original post by Schildpad
1. a lot of them are just studying because they don't know what else to do
2. and don't want to work yet.
3. History is a popular choice for those students.

1. A lot of us were like that in college, myself included.
2. That was me too, I guess.
3. History is an important subject for game designers.

"what if you're not the coding kind but the storywriting and artsy kind? How do you get your foot in the door?"

Art people turn up with portfolios.

OK, recruiting works like this.. if you want to get hired into job X, you have to convince the person signing the cheques for job X that you have two attributes. You don't have to convince people on this board or strangers in the street, just the person with the money. Or someone else, who will convince the person with the money for you -- like a hiring manager for instance.

The two things hiring managers want to know are;

1) Can this person do the job?

2) Do I want this person doing the job?

So here's how you get hired;

1) Be very convincing that you can do the job -- that gets you into the interview. Qualifications, portfolio, track record, kick ass CV are all part of this. That sort of thing. Your CV is a *SALES TOOL*. It's not merely a list of jobs/universities you were at for a while.

2) Be personable -- someone that other people won't actively not want to be around during one of those stressy ten or twelve hour days. It's amazing how many people don't smile during a job interview. I tend to conclude that if they don't smile once during a couple of hours they probably never will...

There's only two other ways to get a job I can think of. One is to be recommended by someone the money person already trusts -- if you can set this up, you pass #1 by recommendation and you merely have to meet #2.

The other is by nepotism, bribery or other mechanism like that. The advantage of this route is that you don't need to meet either of the requirements, but there may be a lot of "up front" arranging to do... :-)

One good way I've personally found to convince that I can do the job is to actually do it.

Say you apply for a said job, ummm, name whichever you'd like.
The whole point of the interview will be about what you'd do if you had the job, because they don't want just someone who is qualified but also someone who has an idea of how this will work out.
If you think you're ready to apply for a job, actually stop and do the job. I personally recall asking for a job in QA with an actual test plan in hand for an hypothetical project that they were working on. I had layed out everything, even statistics about the potential customer targets.
The line from the interviewer that probably got me the job was simply "I see you came well prepared"
That's the kind of line you want to hear in the interview, as it will make you and the interviewer much more compatible. More often than not, the interview will go deeper into the details of the actual job, and they will comment on your plan, etc... Usually, when this happens, if you did things the right way, you already have the job. You and the interviewer just don't know it yet ;)

What would be required for an undergraduate graphic designer to go into the field of game design?

I am finishing up my undergrad in graphic design and I am interested in learning more about game design. Possibly a Masters Degree. What should be the first step in the exploration process?

I know one of the requirements ultimately is drawing. Does anyone know of a great self taught book to improve skills?

The first step in the exploration process would be to View Forum FAQ (above).
Then read these:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson41.htm
http://www.igda.org/games-game-april-2006
Drawing is not a requirement for game designers. I'm surprised that as a graphic design major you'd be expressing concern about that.

[quote name='Schildpad' timestamp='1264607314' post='4594733']
You could be right about some students, but a lot of them are just studying because they don't know what else to do and don't want to work yet. Even in university/master's. At least that's how it is where I come from. History is a popular choice for those students.
[/quote]
In which case continuing their education would be a really smart thing to do. It keeps them off the streets for a few years and exposes them to a host of information and experiences they would not otherwise have. During that time they may discover something they are passionate about and may mature enough to make difficult life choices. Dropping out of school because you don't know what you want to do would definitely be the dumb option.

I was surprised to see this post is now being pinned as reference.
In all regards, I'll give an overdue update on my status.
I have now achieved over 6 months as a Project Coordinator.
I am still working on my side project which should hit online distribution platforms in Q1 2013.
If I'm lucky enough, I should be able to land in a job in Game Design after that.