Speaking as a moderator...

Started by
18 comments, last by Kylotan 22 years, 8 months ago
I know it sounds kind of lame but I think it could be done.

If you could think of some ingenious new type of forum. Like instead of seperate forums for opengl etc, you could have the person select.. I want to read messages about..
OpenGL
DirectX
Tile Maps

and it would show up all those. so each forum post would have variables attatched to it telling what the message is about.

Now this is a bad suggestion probably.. but I seriously think the only way to get stuff like that out of forums is some ingenious thing someone has to stumble upon in their mind...
you know..

anyway.. thats my opinion.

CrappySoft - game production team with a punk attitude. Mail me if you want to make levels, art etc.
CrappySoft - game production team with a punk attitude. Mail me if you want to make levels, art etc.
Advertisement
Heh. If you want to make suggestions for the Forums, there is a separate forum for that too. Please use it I only posted this comment here, because it was specifically this forum with a big misplaced posts problem, and I wanted the users of this forum to read it.
word.
I can understand your logic about posting this thread in the topic with the most traffic, but you''re not setting a very good example, are you. Your adding to all of this traffic too, Kylotan, if I''m not mistaken. Just my opinion.
AP before me: hes just trying to point out the problem to the braindead people not realizing/paying attention to it. I agree with Kylotan, and, every other moderator, you would think it would be fun to be a moderator but not with people posting 6000 opengl topics ina game programming thread. I think you should make a faq, kinda like the Save GDNet things, how it its in every forum, and alwaysa t the top, as aa faq reminding people to not post Direct X in openGL forums(not that that happens, I have to say, the OpenGL forum is very clean and easy to navigate through, mainly becasue:1) the people who do post in OpenGL are usually posting OpenGL topics(thats why the size is so small compared to tohers) 2) no one is posting a messae like : I am a newbie who wants to make FF& in 3 days alone, sry to you newbies but theres another forum for that, where people who want to be bothered go to, you , as kylotan said, lose respect if you post something like that in a Direct X forum). There should be like a Post new message button, not in a direct forum, just a post new, with a pull down menu saying the types of messages, then they go into the specified one, and if someone lies they get a warning on thier account, 2 warnings and your out. I think someone already posted this idea, of a category selection.

"I''''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
quote:Original post by Kylotan
Guys, just looking at today''s threads shows that maybe 9 or 10 of them are graphics questions, perhaps even DirectX or OpenGL questions. Please... if it''s about DirectX, use the DirectX forum. If it''s about OpenGL, use the OpenGL forum. If it''s about both, or graphics in general, use the Graphics forum. If everyone posts in the wrong forums it makes it a lot harder to find the information you want, especially weeks or months down the line when using the search facility. It also makes the moderators'' jobs harder.

Ok, so A game consists of OpenGL, DirectX ,umm graphics and AI so wouldn''t most questions come here. I am actually wondering if you remove all these from a game whats left to ask about ? Hmm and all of them have their own boards. So wouldn''t asking these questions directly or indirectly come into game programming ?

P.S. :- Please don''t take this sarcastically. Its a question from an amatuer :-)
Hello from my world
Well, usually, a question about a game isn''t about a game in general, so just TRY to keep the questions segregated to their own forum.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
Shining Darkness- A division of Chromesphere Studios
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I can understand your logic about posting this thread in the topic with the most traffic, but you''re not setting a very good example, are you. Your adding to all of this traffic too, Kylotan, if I''m not mistaken. Just my opinion.

One extra thread is a small price to pay to cut down on all the other misplaced ones.

Well, a few days ago I posted my message in the DirectX forum. I received no response.. So today I posted it here. Then I read your post. I think the polem is that the users are being spread across to many forums so there aren''t as many people who can help you with your problems
-eat me!-but i''m not a cannibal!
Aye, aye, aye..

Kylotan, thanks for posting this. I wish people would listen instead of argue.

If you have a isometric question using DX8, it goes in "Isometric Land". Think about it. If you post an isometric question in the DX forum, you''re not going to get the isometric "gurus" answering your question.

Look at the description of the DirectX forum: "API-specific topics about DirectX". Catch that? API-SPECIFIC. There is nothing API-specific about isometric programming.

Let''s see, some of the other "arguments"...

The game programming forum is meant to be something of a "left over" forum. Some examples of topics might be "moving enemy from point A to point B", overall game system design, tying the components of a game together, game menus, battle systems, input, etc. There are many more topics in game development that are not covered in the rest of the forums.

Another thing is that it''s going to take some time before people get used to the new forums. We''ve only had them for about a month or two, as compared to the old system which we had for about two years. So, give it time.

Anyways, what it comes down to is that people who post on the message board need to figure out exactly what it is that their post/question is about and then post in the respective forum. There is something of a hierarchy to the forums with Game/General/Graphics/SE/API''s being at the bottom and the specific topics at the top. Start at the top and work your way down when figuring out the appropriate forum. Maybe THAT should be in the FAQ...

Kevin

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement