DX9 Deprecated for learning or....

Started by
10 comments, last by Waterwalker 14 years, 3 months ago
Hey guys, I'm using Windows Vista and I've bought a DX10 book (Introduction to 3D Game Programming with Direct3D 10, Frank D. Luna), however I dislike his teaching style (you're given a load of source code files and expected to use it as your basecode) I prefer to be able to build my own repertoire of code and know that it's all handmade and therefore understood. Now, the problem is this; I can't find many decent online tutorials for DX10, but there's a plethora of tutorials available for learning DX9. Would it be a step backwards to learn Direct3D 9 now, or should I simply persevere with the book and feel that I'm not achieving too much? I know it sounds like I have OCD about not being able to use other peoples code blindly, but I can't help it! All help/criticisms accepted. Ollie
Advertisement
What exactly is the question? Are you asking if DX9 is outdated now? Or are you asking which is better? Or are you asking if learning DX9 so you can learn DX10 is the right way to go about learning DX10?
I'm asking if it there would be any drawbacks to learning DX9 now that DX10 is out. I'm only leaning towards DX9 as there's alot more learning materials about.

Ollie.
Quote:Original post by ollyb342
I'm asking if it there would be any drawbacks to learning DX9 now that DX10 is out. I'm only leaning towards DX9 as there's alot more learning materials about.

Ollie.

Definitely no !
This is why doing ; I'm a mere beginner in Direct3d and still learning Direct3d with D3d9.
There are differences between D3d9 and D3d9 but I think that it's a good base to learn Direct3d with D3d9.
And don't forget that a lot of Windows users still have systems running under Windows XP.
Quote:Original post by HolyGrail
Definitely no !
This is why doing ; I'm a mere beginner in Direct3d and still learning Direct3d with D3d9.
There are differences between D3d9 and D3d9 but I think that it's a good base to learn Direct3d with D3d9.
And don't forget that a lot of Windows users still have systems running under Windows XP.

This is very true! How're you finding learning D3D9 out of interest? and what are your main learning resources? (Cheeky I know ^^)

So I'm right in saying:
D3D9 >> Windows XP AND Windows Vista
D3D10 >> solely Windows Vista

Thanks for your swift and helpful replies guys, much appreciated.

Ollie
If I had to pick whether it's too early to learn DX10 or too late to learn DX9, I'd say it's to early to learn DX10. But the answer to depends on why you want to learn either. In a nutshell, DX9 has more learning material readily available as you've noticed, has much wider accessibility (many more people would be able to run your programs), which also dictates its status in the industry as the dominating API. DX10 is newer, gives access to newer hardware features (geometry shaders.. etc), removes the need to check for hardware support for various features, its programming model is somewhat different from that of DX10 (I don't know exactly how since I only know DX9), but it's vista/7 only. How important any of these differences to you depends on what you want to learn DirectX for. DX9 is not outdated, and I have yet to come across a big DX10-only PC game.

[EDIT]: Personally I find learning from tutorials to be much more faster and effective than learning from books, especially for something like this. See this for example for DX9 learning resources (particularly Evil Steve's tutorials and codesampler.com).
Ok, thankyou hikikomori-san.

I'll definitely sit down with some DX9 learning materials and crack on with it!

tbh I don't know what I want from it yet, I just wanna write some code and get a feel for how it handles. I've done a bit of work in OpenGL and I fancy working with D3D for a bit to see which feels more intuitive.

You mention that you know D3D9, can you possibly talk me through some of the things that you've written with it/any pitfalls that you find.

I know I'm probably asking quite a lot, but it's nice to know what's possible with some effort.

Ollie
DX9 isn't really ready to be dead and buried just yet. It still has an enormous userbase [such as for example, everyone who still runs XP]. What IS dead and buried is the fixed function pipeline. DX10 realizes this, and has largely phased it out. If you concentrate on the shader portion of dx9, you're not only better off, but will be able to much better retain what you learn once you leave dx9 for something newer.

Btw, you'll get over being unable to use other people's code eventually. It's something that all of us went through.
There is not much I can tell you at this stage that isn't already available in the tutorials I liked to in the previous post. Good luck and don't rush things - learn the basics, make simple test applications, get a feel of how things work together, and then try to make something useful with the knowledge. And have fun.
Quote:Original post by Drigovas
Btw, you'll get over being unable to use other people's code eventually. It's something that all of us went through.

Ok thanks man, I feel a bit better now =D

And thanks hikikomori-san, I didn't see that link! I'll take a look.

Thanks everyone.

Ollie

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement