General ray tracing timing question

Started by
19 comments, last by phresnel 14 years, 3 months ago
Just a really general question. How long does it take to trace a scene? At what resolutions? # and type CPUS? # tris? Its just a general question, so any parameters is appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement
It can be anywhere from milliseconds to several days per frame
How long does it take to rasterize a scene?
I was hoping for some actual figures. Again, its a general question so describing a specific situation would be helpful.

Let me give an example. On my dual core 2.8GHz machine, my raytracer renders an 800x600 scene with 3969 triangles, 1 indirect bounce (spawning 1024 rays using stratified sampling), ambient occlusion, 8 threads, light SIMD optimizations in 2 hours 55 minutes. There's no hit caching or irradiance caching. All CPU line triangle traces. See, that wasn't too hard :)

Anyways, my primary concern is how fast should I be able to get this. However, I'm also interested in general ray-tracing timings whether it be GPU based, 1 core, a zillion cores, 1080, a million triangles, etc.
why dont you setup the same scene in Maya, 3DSMax, Blender, MentalRay, Brazil, FryRender, POVRay or any other of the many mature ray tracers available and test it out? That way you can have an accurate comparison and something you can tweak and measure rather than a guess from one of us [wink]
"I am a donut! Ask not how many tris/batch, but rather how many batches/frame!" -- Matthias Wloka & Richard Huddy, (GDC, DirectX 9 Performance)

http://www.silvermace.com/ -- My personal website
Thanks for the suggestion, silvermace, it is a good one.

I am still interested in general numbers.
try povray, it's free and it shouldn't be too difficult to get your model into it.
Arauna is another one you could test against.
Realstorm stuff is fairly old. But they can render a 640x480 image with volume lights/fog and global illumination at ~10fps.
a 1280x1024 at about .5fps on my AMD Phenom rig. And their specs show that the bechmark they released is not threaded. So you could get a 640x480 running at a playable speed on a good rig for sure.

The Heaven-7 Demo is also real-time raytraced.
IMHO, trying to guess those figures is close to useless. That really depends upon what features are implemented and how. Get Blender and try its internal renderer, then Yafaray and then LuxRender. There are also Sunflow and Pov Ray. All those offline raytracers are free to use.
Arauna is a very fast realtime renderer.

By the way, are there reasons why are you using 8 threads on a 2 core machine? With my raytracer I get the best results using 4-6 threads on a 4 core machine (no HT).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement