Camera with 6DOF

Started by
2 comments, last by Nibbles 22 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I''m trying to get a camera with 6DOF working, but having no luck. Anybody know of any code/tuts/class for this? Thank ya, Scott Email Website
"If you try and don''t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."
Advertisement
I couldn''t find much in gamedev''s resources, but search the news on flipcode.com for "camera" and you''ll find plenty.

If you want some help here you should probably be a bit more specific than "having no luck". What sort of problems are you having?
Hey,

Basically, say I rotate left, then up, the right... it doesn''t seem to work properly (is it called gimbal lock?), and I know how to move forward along the x, z axis (good for a FPS), but i''m working on a space sim and I need to move along all 3 axis''.

thanks,
Scott

Email
Website

"If you try and don''t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."
This is just a suggestion, but you need to rotate the axes of the camera during each rotation. Say you''re making a flight sim which is probably similar to what you are doing.

You have roll (z), pitch (x), and yawl (y). You can''t just rotate around x, then y, then z. What you need to do is rotate the three axes along with the models during each rotation. Say you pitch up. You must also pitch the roll and yawl axes. Then you roll right. You must roll the yawl axis along also. Finally, rotate around the yawl axis. After this, translation should be a trivial process.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement