What linux distribution should I get?

Started by
7 comments, last by Imois 22 years, 8 months ago
I am looking for a linux distribution with a Graphical User Interface. Preferably a small download. It is to be used on an older computer with limited amount of diskspace (~500 MB available for Linux) I want to use it for programming. (to port games to Linux) A IDE with syntax coloring would be nice but is not required. What distribution should I get, where and what files should I download?
Advertisement
What does Graphical User Interface mean? Do you mean for installing or working?
If textbased installation doesn''t scare you, try Slackware
http://www.slackware.com it''s only one cd, plus an extra cd which I didn''t really need.
It should work on old hardware to, if you use xfree 3.x
and 500Mb sould be enough.
For the IDE use Kdevelop it''s included and is by far the best FREE IDE available for linux.

Good Luck in developing Linux games!
Given your requirements, there are two majorr distributions that apply: Slackware and Debian. Both easily intall, with development tools, on a 500 MB hard disk.

Debian also has the advantage of having an excellent package system, dependency problems are very unlikely, even when adding and removing packages later on (especially the "suggest" part in the package is handy). But slack will also be a good choice, if you know what you are doing you can make your linux box more effective than with any other distribution. Just don''t try Red Hat or one of it''s clones, if you have only 500 MB to spare. These easily get over 1 Gig for a basic install. And then you don''t even have a make utility yet :-)

This thread is likely to end up as a flame war... heh, I don''t care :-)
Slackware would be my choice, especially since they have a distro called ZipSlack that will fit on one 100MB Zip disk w/development tools and XFree. Debian is also an excellent distro, but initial installation can be a bit tedious (picking each and every package you want.)
With GUI I meant it should be graphical while I''m working. I''m new to Linux and don''t feel like sitting for a text prompt no idea what to do.

I wonder if there is a distribution which can be downloaded from the internet in a convenient way. I.e: it''s clear what you should download, and when you''ve got the files you don''t have to download additional files to get it to work (patches etc.). Also it should not be too big, not to download and also not to install.

I want to learn Linux on an older computer, remember.
Slackware is what I use and always have.
I''ve tried Red Hat (ek) and Debian as well, although I never really gave Debian much of a chance, and I still feel Slackware suits my needs the best.
It comes with all the things you need and then some. Kdevelop and a more recent version of XFree86 is availible on the contrib CD, the CD GeorgX didn''t really need. I have to say it was convinent to have at times you were lazy and didn''t feel like connecting, waiting for the download and then making the whole package - especially for something like XFree86.

Slackware needs to ship with Blackbox though hehe It''s the superior, IMO, WM if you haven''t got a 1.7 GHz CPU and a lot of RAM.

"This album was written, recorded and edited at Gröndal, Stockholm in the year of 2000. At this point in time money still ruled the world. Capitalistic thoughts were wide spread. From the sky filled with the fumes of a billionarie''s cigar to the deepest abyss drenched in nuclear waste. A rich kid was a happy kid, oh..dirty, filthy times. Let this be a reminder."
- Fireside, taken from back of the Elite album
Maybe you use an older version, but on Slackware 8.0 xfree4.1 (which is in my opinion the most recent version unless you use a cvs version) and kdevelop are on cd1.
I get the impression I should choose between Slackware and Debian

What exactly is the difference between Slackware and Debian?

Which is easier to install/download?
Which offers the most functionality with the least hard drive space?

Is it at all possible to download these and get a reasonable system? Or is there no other option then to get a CD?

Thanks for all the advise so far.
No no no no no no no

NO distrobution discussion, it always leads to flamewars.

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement