Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zeblar Nagrim

3DS Max driving me crazy!

Zeblar Nagrim    150
I feel I have no (0.003%) control in 3dsmaxR3. I have for several month tried to import data from that program. I have tried ascii format, xfile format and 3dsformat. The big problem is to get texture coordinates from a object. Sometimes it works, sometimes it do not work. If I stick with the precreated objects like the box and the torus knot, no problem with the tex coords. But if I create let say a pyramid and remove 2 sides the texcoords disappear when I export the file! Is it only me or does someone else know about this problem? Please help. Kindly, Zeblar Nagrim, Lord of Chaos

Zeblar Nagrim    150
This is what I mean:

Sometimes when I export a 3ds or ascii file from 3dsMaxR3 no UV-coordinnates is written to the file. Why?
Here is one example when 3ds max fail to export texture coordinates:

1. Create a pyramid, from the object in the toolbar.
2. Convert the object to editable mesh.
3. Select "SubObject" face.
4. Select one face and delete it.
5. Create a material with a texture and apply it to the pyramid.
6. Export as a ase-file.
7. Read the ase file and look after MESH_TVERT keywords.
8. Find no one...

This is strange because the texture show up right in the program when I render the object.

Please help me!

GregQ    122
Hey guy , before exporting .ASE file you need to CREATE MESH_TVERTS coordinates ! To create them do that :
1.select obj
2.Modify->UVW Map ... ( select one : planar , box .. face .. any)
Now export ! Got it ?

Promit    13246
So, where did u obtain 3DS max and how can get i get it without paying anything *lol* seriously though, anyone got somewhere?

Julio    116
you can find it all over the net. (not the I would know ) You can buy a student version of it for a few hundred dollars though. I use blender.

Never underestimante the power of stupid people in large groups.