Need some tips on getting into the field

Started by
2 comments, last by hugostrangelovecraft 13 years, 3 months ago
Hi, I am interested in getting into video game programming. So far, all I've done are several text based games in c++ (Mainly a text based RPG with 10 levels). I plan on going to a college for Computer Science. I was hoping people could give me some advice on what I need to start learning to program games with graphics (2D and 3D) as well as good colleges for programming.
Advertisement
For programming questions, read the FAQ for the For Beginners forum.
For graphics questions, try the Visual Arts forum.
As for schools, read these for starters:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson44.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson25.htm
Make an appointment to spend time with your high school career counselor. S/he is there to help you with this very question, in person.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If I may, I find it that people around here get hired for their versatility whenever possible.
The truth is the first or couple first projects you'd be assigned to in the industry would possibly not "thrill" you. So text-based games are good, a handful of small projects if possible. Then again, a couple larger ones may help, that display a clear understanding of 2d and 3d logics. The graphics themselves can be crappy, or free, or even outsourced from an artist that, just like you, is attempting to dig in the field.

My personal HR stated that in order to be hired where I work, you'd need to answer this question positively: Could you spend the next year programming a game for female teens with a lot of pink and ribbon? And not just as in a "state of mind" but also as an efficient part of the team, someone who can claim has already experience as an indie programmer working with the assets used in that game.

Also, c++ is great, but it is not all. A lot of entry-level positions I've seen for programmers are flash or based of different languages because they serve different needs on different platforms. Just because C++ is the "king of hardcore dev" doesn't mean it is the only one you need to master. (Oh and by the way, I do not mean what I said between the quotes, though many people seem to so...)

Hopefully that helps a little?
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!

Hi, I am interested in getting into video game programming. So far, all I've done are several text based games in c++ (Mainly a text based RPG with 10 levels). I plan on going to a college for Computer Science. I was hoping people could give me some advice on what I need to start learning to program games with graphics (2D and 3D) as well as good colleges for programming.

Spend a good time investigating the Schools / Colleges you have access to. Check that their curricula is for an area that interest you, example: Some carriers go towards businnes and management and others may lean for more technical subjects even if they both are called Computer Science. There are also more technical schools that specifically deal with video games, simulation and similar subjects. Still, in my opinion to make great games, get a good job or to make your own studio later what's more important is what you do, not what a school taught you.

To make it short:
  1. Study whatever you find interesting and you think could be useful, but more important what you think will be more fun for you.
  2. Try to do some student work, professional service or whatever it's called there as early as possible, no matter if it's not video game related.
  3. Continue doing personal projects every once in a while even if they will not be useful for school, and if you can tie them to school projects that's great!
  4. If you get the time and the chance join with a team online or in the real world to successfully create a game or a mod.
  5. Always keep a record and proof of every noticeable project you do in or out of school.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement