Linux C++ IDE, What do you use?

Started by
27 comments, last by phresnel 14 years, 3 months ago
I have used kDevelop, Anjuta, Eclipse-CDT and just plain old vim/g++ for extended periods of time. I haven't been completely satisfied and its to the point where I have stopped working on code in search for a better setup. kDevelop - Version 3, good features but in my experience very buggy. Version 4, unusable Anjuta - Ok, not as buggy as kDevelop Eclipse-CDT - Fairly stable but often slow and recent versions have had GUI problems Vim/g++ - fast and stable, I need to get better with vim's commands I am currently using Eclipse but going back to vim looks better everyday. However its nice to have some of a GUI's function, I am stuck. What do you use for an IDE as a linux dev?
Sleep is for the weak, or at least that is what I tell myself every morning.
Advertisement
I use Eclipse-CDT, too, I think. One of the versions of Eclipse is so slow that the entire program hangs for about 2 seconds when it does it's Intellisense (I know that's VS, but I'm talking about the Eclipse version of Intellisense here) thing. I use the version of Eclipse that doesn't hang. Ganymede? It's really less than ideal. Thankfully I don't have to develop much in a linux environment. Like you, I haven't been able to find an IDE that's pleasant to use.

I've found that emacs can be pretty nice to write code on, if you're willing to spend a bit of time setting it up to your liking. I like that I can move the cursor and switch to different files without ever letting my hands off home row, and searching for text is infinitely faster. The only thing that sucks is the lack of an Intellisense type of tool, but this drawback is mostly mitigated by the speed at which I can look things up. Once you have a few basic keyboard shotcuts memorized you can really do a lot of stuff quickly with emacs.
I am using the ganymede version of eclipse at the moment as well, but the latest version has driven me over the edge with it. I was ok with it being a little slow but the most recent version does not register mouse clicks in certain menus. In other words some menus I have to click a button only once, in others if I click it twice for it to work( once never works), others mouse clicks never work and I have to tab to the button and hit enter.

As far as using a non-gui(I dont want to get into a VI vs. Emacs debate =) ) based text editor your right they have huge advantages in terms of speed, but a very steep learning curve. I am ok with them but I would like to get better if I am going to start using one as my sole editor again.
Sleep is for the weak, or at least that is what I tell myself every morning.
Hmm, consider NetBeans for C and C++. Sun seem confident enough to base their official IDE for the Sun Studio C and C++ dev tools (ie pretty much the main developer stream for anything on Solaris) on it.

I'm thinking about giving it a shot myself. It's my pick of the Java IDEs, especially since the release of 6.8; and I've just recently taken up the PHP support, which has proven pretty cruisy, so I don't doubt it as a multi-language IDE.
I use vim all the way for editing. The only thing I still haven't found for linux is a good debugger gui. Codeblocks is decent, but doesn't compare to Visual Studio+ViEmu+VisualAssistX. Eclipse always seems slow, and for some reason i find setting up projects in it confusing by comparison to Visual Studio. Both bother me because there isn't a seemless vim support plugin.

Overall it is really hard to migrate home from my work setup because i have the best of Vim and best of Visual Studio all in one package at work. A lot of the vim plugins make vim almost do what VS does, but it is still lacking good debugger support and good VAX quality intelesense. Mind you ViEmu doesn't support everything from Vim, but VAX manages to fill in enough of the holes that I feel I have the best of all worlds.

I'd also like to know of a good Linux IDE setup that is comparable to VS+ViEmu+VAX. Everything I've ever looked at comes up short.

Quote:Original post by Samith
I've found that emacs can be pretty nice to write code on, ... The only thing that sucks is the lack of an Intellisense type of tool ...

Hmm... there is CEDET which comes with smart code completion, but I've never used it though.
Previously I was using Eclipse, Netbeans and gVim but since I have discovered Qt Creator, I don't see any reason to use other IDEs.
For my personal C++ projects on Linux, I currently use Geany. I use the integrated terminal to compile (not the compile buttons Geany provides). This is feasable for my personal projects because they usually don't have more than 50 source files.

In the past I used Kate for the same purpose instead of Geany, but since KDE 4 screwed up Kate (especially the way its search is independent for each open file and the "whole word" and "case sensitive" options are hidden behind drop down choices and also friggin' independent for each file) I now use Geany instead.

As a bonus over Kate, Geany has a sort of intellisense-like feature built in where ctrl+clicking on an identifier brings you to its de(clara)(fini)tion, even over multiple files. It did take a long while to figure out how to configure Geany to use spaces instead of tabs everywhere and indentate in a good manner, but it is possible.
Quote:Original post by jpmcmu
I am using the ganymede version of eclipse at the moment as well, but the latest version has driven me over the edge with it. I was ok with it being a little slow but the most recent version does not register mouse clicks in certain menus. In other words some menus I have to click a button only once, in others if I click it twice for it to work( once never works), others mouse clicks never work and I have to tab to the button and hit enter.

Btw, this is a Bug in SWT in conjunction with a newer GTK version. You might try different GTK styles, as the problems don't occur in all of them.
I also read the problem is fixed in Eclipse 3.6, but that's still beta.
------------------------------------------------------------Jawohl, Herr Oberst!
Quote:Original post by Lode
... to use spaces instead of tabs everywhere and ...

This thread is now about tabs vs spaces.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement