Google to no longer filter search results in China

Started by
56 comments, last by LessBread 14 years, 2 months ago
Just read this over on Google's blog: "A new approach to China" I think it's really cool. It's kind of frustrating watching governments interact with countries like China where they want to make clear they're "uncomfortable" with China's human rights record, censorship issues, etc but at the same time they don't want to upset the Chinese and lose all of that business. But it's great that private companies can stand up to them and say, "we'll do business in your country by our rules, or not at all" and they don't mind that China might say "not at all, then" and they'll have to pack up and leave. Not that I think this is going to have any affect on China at all - I mean Google doesn't exactly have a huge share of the China market to begin with. At the same time, the hacking/monitoring stuff is kind of scary, too...
Advertisement
Google's Chinese office employees are going to arrive at work tomorrow, only to see their office building has been replaced with a zipper factory overnight.
Google's Chinese office employees are going to arrive at work tomorrow? ;)
What did google expect? I think this was inevitable. Why did we help them build their firewall again?
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
I don't see this happening...
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
I don't see China giving in. Baidu has the majority market share anyway, and it's a domestic company. Plus, it would set a dangerous precedent for China. Not surprisingly, google shares are down 2% and baidu shares are up 13% today.
I'm shocked that google would do this.

I would think that they would just try to man power their way into the Chinese people's hearts.

Interesting!
Let's index google's database, and open up choogle.com, we'll get that 2%. Shouldn't take too long. The amount of google's data that is visible to the Chinese should fit on a low capacity SD card.
I hope this goes through. It really gets tiring seeing companies pandering to China because of size of the potential market and then getting burned.
-Mike
Bully for Google.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement