Spatial Partitioning Terrain and Stationary Objects

Started by
3 comments, last by ItsDan 14 years, 3 months ago
Imagine that I have a terrain and various stationary objects in my scene. A good example would be a field with trees, bushes, shrubs, etc. The Terrain will not change, however the trees and shrubs may sway in the wind. What would be the best way to partition this scenario? Octree for Terrain and BVH for Objects?
------------Anything prior to 9am should be illegal.
Advertisement
You could try and keep it simple and just use a quadtree.
The only problem I see with a Quad tree is that it may not be as effective in Frustum Culling when displaying a cliff or mountain (because the triangles are now going up the Y-axis.
------------Anything prior to 9am should be illegal.
Quote:Original post by RealMarkP
The only problem I see with a Quad tree is that it may not be as effective in Frustum Culling when displaying a cliff or mountain (because the triangles are now going up the Y-axis.

You are right although on todays GPU's, a few triangles here and there won't be such a performance hit! If you want to optimize your terrain rendering then you might wanna use other efficient culling methods and LOD not just frustum culling.
If you have a large vertical difference then extend your quadtree into an oct-tree.
-----------------------------------------------“The best, most affordable way to save the most lives and improve overall health is to increase the number of trained local, primary healthcare workers.”Learn how you can help at www.ghets.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement