Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slow In Fullscreen

This topic is 5984 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am writing a pong game and whenever I execute the program in windowed mode, everything moves at the right speed. But, when I switch to fullscreen (same width & height window), everything slows down about 40%. I thought that things would run faster in fullscreen? Im running win2k, geforce2 pro, Detonator 12.90s.

In full-screen mode, your buffer flip is probably waiting for the vertical retrace. If your video mode is refreshing at 60Hz, then you will get a maximum of 60 frames per second. In windowed mode, a buffer flip is simulated by blitting the back buffer to the window. This is not affected by the vertical retrace and can therefore run as fast as possible. On modern cards, windowed mode often runs faster because of this reason.

However, your code should always try to run at the same speed. Most games, especially console games, run at a fixed rate of either 30 or 60fps and no faster. Many PC games do the same. This means that your game will run at the same speed no matter what speed PC the game is played on or whether it is in full-screen or windowed.

Steve ''Sly'' Williams  Code Monkey  Krome Studios