Stencil Buffer question

Started by
0 comments, last by gameovercl 22 years, 8 months ago
Even if I request on my code (under Windows) to use a stencil buffer, the application runs very slow on 16 bits, and fast on 32 bits. Can somebody explain me this strange behavior? On the other side, is it possible for my card to run fast under 16 bits with the stencil buffer? I have a GeForce 256 DDR with 32Mb running under Windows ME, with the latest drivers (OpenGL version 1.2.1). My stencil buffer is 8 bits, depth buffer 16 bits, and accumulation buffer 64 bits. Thanks in advance! Cristián Ramírez (gameovercl) ICQ #38991565 Viña del Mar CHILE
Advertisement
No, I do not think that you can have a hardware stencil buffer in 16 bits. I guess it is just a limitation of the hardware. The accumulation buffer is never hw accelerated on consumer hardware.

The stencil buffer is assosiated with the Z-buffer on your hardware. Two modes is possible 16 bit depth buffer or 24 bit depth buffer and 8 bit stencil buffer. You can try to set up a 16 bit color buffer with the 24+8 Z/stencil buffer but as mentioned above do I not know if this is a legal combination.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement