Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

warm0ng3r

mid-level experience - programming jobs

Do these exist? I''ve been programming since about March last year (learnt programming principles and then data structures in Ada, and then OOP in java, all in 1st year and a half of uni), and am now taking a break from uni because i''m finding my own progress into c++ and directx/game programming a heck of a lot more interesting, fun, and intense than what I was doing at uni. The other factor in this break is that I have no money, cos the gov''t cut my youth allowance, and uni with no dough = boring Is it possible for someone with my approximate experience levels to get a job in a programming firm? I dont necessarily even mean game development, cos Perth (Australia) has no game development houses that I am aware of. Or will I have to just carry on my own programming for another year or so, until I reach ''veteran programmer'' status? here in castle camelot we eat ham and jam and spam alot!

I'm from NZ, so probably this is a bit relevant.
I'd have to say "Doubt it mate". Perhaps a small company would hire you, but you'll end up working on bum projects & maintaining web pages, which is fine unless you want to program. All the companies that I applied for wanted degrees at the very least - most preferred experience also unless they were looking for new grads. You really need that piece of paper to get you in the door. Oh, and what you learn at Uni is relevent (mostly) but you'll learn more on the job in your first month than you did in any semester at varsity. Stick it out & get that qualification - it's worth it, get a loan if needs be, 'cos you'll pay it off in a year or two with the money programmers earn.

Good Luck
Brad

Edited by - brad_beveridge on July 30, 2001 8:57:37 PM

sorry to piss on your parade, but a year of uni level experience a mid-level programmer does not make . neither will anyone consider you a "veteran programmer" a year from now. not trying to rag on you, but you might wanna be a tad more realistic. mid-level is 2-3 years *in the industry*.

2 years of ''hobby expierence'' (most game companies companies will consider uni experience as hobby experience or equivalent, although you might be able to get away with it in more mainstream IT) puts you smack at entry level.

-goltrpoat

--
Float like a butterfly, bite like a crocodile.

quote:
Original post by warm0ng3r
I have no money, cos the gov't cut my youth allowance

the government gives you "youth allowance", just curius, but what is that?

Edited by - asaari on August 1, 2001 2:02:04 AM

Hmm I''m from Australia and _I_ have no idea what he''s on about =) Maybe you''re talking about AUSstudy or ABstudy? I don''t know.

Anyway, like the others said, you''d be hard pressed finding a programming job with no experience, although there ARE a couple of gamedev places in Perth I think...

The best way to get a job is to know someone on the inside (preferably a relative). That''s how all my friend got a programming job at NEC when he was 15. And, he was (and still is) a pretty lame coder!

Well, that''s my brief assesment of the Aussie industry. Also, you might want to check in The Australian every Tuesday (or online?) cos they have a TON of jobs in there, many of them high flying but lots of smaller things if you can be bothered reading the smaller ads (as opposed to the 300k+ full page glossy ones =)

Apparently youth allowance is free money foor poorer ''youth'' 16-24 in Australia.

Here''s a FAQ:
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/youth_allow.htm
Here''s a benefit:
http://www.detya.gov.au/archive/ministers/vanstone/v107_17697.htm
And here''s a downside:
http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/stories/319.asp

Mike

yeah, like ausstudy, but for students under 25, who''s parents dont earn over a set amount.... but then income went up, and my youth allowance got cut, so im left with no money whatsoever, and i dun wanna take money off folks, and therefore have to get a decent job.... novel concept

here in castle camelot we eat ham and jam and spam alot!

So, you have no problems using stranger''s tax money, but heaven forbid you share your parent''s newfound wealth. Am I missing something?

Mike

To find a programming job, you may not want to limit yourself to Game developement.

In the US (at least in Dallas, TX where I live) you don''t have to have a degree to get a programming job...you just have to have the skills that companies want. C++ for large operations, and VB for in-house and web coding.

I''ve had summer programming jobs since I was 15, and dropped out of college for a full-time job. Trust me, that piece of paper won''t make you a better programmer. But don''t shoot yourself in the foot...if your job market requires it...then complete your higher education.

Epolevne

G''Day mate! Just throw another shrimp on the barby!

Man I wish I could work in Australia. I hear the babes are most excellent.

Yup, agree with Epolevne, however, if you dont have experience, and no people to help you get a job, even right after finishing "uni" you have to rely a lot in luck, apply for every programming job you see, and try to sell your potential employer into the idea that you are a good programmer cause you always had A''s (or 100''s like we do in Costa Rica) in the curses you took.
once having a job, gets easier to get another since you will add laboral experience to your resume, which is what companies want to see there, not your grades, dont get greedy, you wont get a senior programmer position, maybe not even a junior progammer position with no experience unless lady luck is in your side, so my advice is take whatever they offer you, who knows, you might do a good job, and they might think of you when a new programmer position opens.

From what I have gathered, the best thing to do in the game programming industry is to get a website, make quite a few good game demos, or even demos that show how well you can work with certain tool. Put the demos on your webpage and attach the URL to the bottom. Employer then have a lot more to go on than a piece of paper. I know some CS majors here in the US that cant code worth a diddley. Proof of experience is the best bet for you and them. That way when they think about hiring you your actual skills revelant to the job dont really come into question.

"There is humor in everything depending on which prespective you look from."

From what I have gathered, the best thing to do in the game programming industry is to get a website, make quite a few good game demos, or even demos that show how well you can work with certain tool. Put the demos on your webpage and attach the URL to the bottom. Employer then have a lot more to go on than a piece of paper. I know some CS majors here in the US that cant code worth a diddley. Proof of experience is the best bet for you and them. That way when they think about hiring you your actual skills revelant to the job dont really come into question.

"There is humor in everything depending on which prespective you look from."