Create A Skinned Mesh X Files from MAX

Started by
4 comments, last by yanuart 22 years, 8 months ago
Have u seen the skinned mesh demo on SDK ?? it opens a skinned mesh with tiny.x as the x files. How do u make the X files with that kinda information (bones and all) come on guys don''t tell me u must do it manually, isn''t there any software or info on making skinned mesh x files ?? I''ve tried making skinned mesh with bones on MAX and then exported to x files manually, but the result doesn''t contain any bones information. This subject is still new in this forum I guess, since I seldom seen anyone posting this kinda question or is it to0 simple ??
Ride the thrill of your life
Play Motorama
Advertisement
A lot of people use 3D Studio Max and Milkshape 3-D. If you go to my web-page you''ll find the Milkshape 3-D exporter for download. Pretty soon my book will be out as well that has a full library (w/source) for loading and using .X files (skinned meshes and multiple animations).

Jim Adams

Jim Adams
home.att.net/~rpgbook
Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX 8
you could also write a Max script that will export all the info you need. i''m currently writing one so that I can use 3d studio max r4 to make and export my 3d scenes, etc.
Hey, I am currently working with x-files and i understand them pretty well. I got simple .x files working and even have key frame animation going, but what are skinned meshes? The DX8 SDK does not talk about them much and explain what they are. Are they models with bones where you move the bones and the skinned is rapped around the bones, so that the mesh is recomputed every frame? If this is the case, what advantages does this hold over key frames besides the obvious of more fluid movement? Also, how does it computer normals and is it alot slower they key framing? I would imaging it would be much slower.

Thanks for any info you can give, and that book you mentioned Jim Adams, when is it gonna be out?

Possibility
Yo in response to your question about Skinned Mesh animations here is a link to a Microsoft webpage that explains the advantages of skinned animations. I haven''t tested the difference performance wise but as for looks skinned meshes rock

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/06/matrix/matrix.asp
"Black Holes are where God divided by zero"
You have to use character studio to get the skeletal information into the .x files.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement